Electrical questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
I tried not to answer his question, but to guide him on a method that would begin to answer the question.

atta_boy.jpg

:D

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I don't know if the first question does get moderated, but if it does then why are DIY questions allowed to get posted and then locked?
When I see a new thread that has not yet been posted to the open forum (they are flagged, so it is easy for me to spot them), I go straight to the poster's profile. If the person claims to be a member of the electrical industry (i.e., electrician, electrical contractor, electrical inspector, electrical engineer, vendor, manufacturer's representative, etc.), that is all I need to know. If a person is obviously a DIY, I will approve the thread, then post a comment to the effect that we don't allow DIYs, and then close it. Why go through all of that? Because if I don't, the poster will not be able to see the thread, and therefore will not get the "no DIY message."

RichB

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical Inspector
My two cents worth-and this is not a rant--just an observation and gut feeling---Those questions feel like test or homework--I believe George and mgookin answered appropriately--nothing there to get upset over--however the OP's response reminds me of how a lot of younger people feel and think these days---You owe me this--I don't want to work for it or look for it myself--just give it to me because you have it and I want and am entitled to it.

I apologize if this offends anyone--not meant to --just my feelings after seeing this in the work place and life for so long now

Richardh247

My two cents worth-and this is not a rant--just an observation and gut feeling---Those questions feel like test or homework--I believe George and mgookin answered appropriately--nothing there to get upset over--however the OP's response reminds me of how a lot of younger people feel and think these days---You owe me this--I don't want to work for it or look for it myself--just give it to me because you have it and I want and am entitled to it.

I apologize if this offends anyone--not meant to --just my feelings after seeing this in the work place and life for so long now

:thumbsup:

I'm not very good at tests because my memory just isn't what I'd like it to be and I am positively horrid at sitting still for any length of time. That may explain why my desk is an atrocious mess of un-filed paperwork, half-finished bids and more than a few coffee rings on the calendar, heh.

Regardless, it doesn't take a modicum of intelligence to understand that being an electrician requires a good deal of book knowledge. Most of our trade isn't knowing the exact answer, it is knowing how to find the exact answer. I don't know of a single page in the NEC that doesn't refer to at least one exception, one different condition or another page entirely. It isn't sufficient to have canned answers. To really apply in the field what the tests grade you on you need experience in digging up clarity to ambiguous statements.

Nothing wrong asking for help: I have a xfmr thread I need help on. But I would rather be pointed in the right directions and perform my own calculations than rely on another to just tell me the answers I am looking for. How else is a person to learn? Kids these days, and too many adults, don't seem to get that (or spell check, for that matter, but that's another rant for another day). And no, that wasn't pointed at the OP at all - just a generic statement from experience.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Grown man seeks to expand his knowledge in the electrical field, goes to Mike Holt's forum and asks some theory questions that might make him better at his job. Grown man is condescended to and treated like a high schooler who's trying to cheat on his "homework".

No, I don't have homework. Yes, I'm asking direct questions that confuse me. Yes, I expected legitimate answers from people who might know more than I do.

Very disappointed so far. Don't see myself posting here again. Thanks for nothing I guess?

Your opinion. Your prerogative.

Your profile states you are an apprentice. Apprentices have homework and take tests. We cannot determine whether your questions are homework, test questions, or just plain ol' would-like-to-know queries. You have to consider you have no history here. We do not know you. You did not even introduce yourself. Grown man...??? Self-belief or introspection isn't the only means in obtaining that status. I imagine I am substantially older than you... and in some ways, I am still yet to be a grown man (hopefully I can maintain that characteristic for a few more years ;)).

Couple that with most everyone knowing the first comment from a unknown person lacking integrity when his/her character is in doubt or questioned is "Trust me..." or some other defensive muttering. What was that you were saying...?

So trust me :p, you are not making any friends here to date.

K8MHZ:
Your point is well taken, but from my viewpoint, and I believe that of other mods, his original post was approved so he was allowed to post. In allowing his post , a moderator, simply noted a long standing policy as to how we handle "homework" type questions...a policy which I feel has strong merit as noted in subsequent posts.
I would be hard-pressed to believe the original post was not based on some type test or teaching means. Those are not questions or wording that normally just pop up in ones head.
The original posters reply in post #4 did not, IMHO, improve the situation or his standing.
Perhaps in this incidence the procedure used did not fit the circumstances, but all in all it has proven to be a valid path.
Truthfully, from his response, I would have to say, again IMO, nothing lost.

The OP has no context or explanation as to why the questions are being asked. It sounded like a homework questions to me and to others. Grown men should have thicker skin.

The OP posted these same questions on a different forum.
Most answered his questions and even with explanations.

I don't know his objectives but he wasn't very appreciative of the help and also defended his "grown man" status there also.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.