Electrical Room Access

Jgardiner

Occupation
Operations Supervisor
I have an existing electrical room that has multiple panels and transformers. To access this electrical room currently you have to pass through a storage room that is accessible. They are doing renovations and want to repurpose this storage room into a unisex bathroom. IMO this cannot be done because access to the electrical room access would be limited by the use of the bathroom. What would be the best code reference if this is the case?

Elect117

Occupation
Engineer E.E. P.E.
There are some code sections on large switchgear that require doors open out (into your bathroom) and have panic hardware.

I don't know of anything specifically limiting how access to or egress from the electrical room is achieved.

Jgardiner

Occupation
Operations Supervisor
That is my issue. I have never seen it designed this way. It is a terrible idea, but I need something in black and white that helps my argument.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Could be sir. Gender neutral bathroom.
Who knows these days what the proper pronoun is. Apparently there are now some that are completely made up words.

As for accessing it thru a bathroom, I don't see it as an issue. The door is allowed to be locked and it is not as if access is really something required immediately.

Jgardiner

Occupation
Operations Supervisor
The storage room doesn’t have a locked door, my access is not limited. The bathroom in case of an emergency I could have to wait

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
The storage room doesn’t have a locked door, my access is not limited. The bathroom in case of an emergency I could have to wait.
What emergency would require that quick access?
I have to climb ladders to access electrical rooms built on mezzanine and roofs.

Elect117

Occupation
Engineer E.E. P.E.
Maybe also ask the utility? If their meter is inside that room they might quote some obscure rule about access.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Make your case to anyone who will listen. This is trouble and later on the song will be "Why didn't you bring this to our attention?":. Argue it and document as much as possible. Send e mails if you are connected. Write memos if not.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Make your case to anyone who will listen. This is trouble and later on the song will be "Why didn't you bring this to our attention?":. Argue it and document as much as possible. Send e mails if you are connected. Write memos if not.
Agreed, the idea of the electrical room being accessed through a bathroom is just bad. Seen many incidences that the key was locked inside the bathroom, or they "accidentally" pushed the lock button after the person left, and had to get a locksmith to open the door. Took several days in a couple of cases.

Had one that someone had done just that design and it led to a lot of screaming when exiting the electrical room into an unknowingly "occupied" bathroom.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
It's not like you typically need immediate access to the electrical room. It does not seem to me like there is a good answer to the problem. They likely needed a bathroom and there are only so many places they can go.

It is not ideal maybe but no worse than having to go thru a locked storage room to get to the electrical closet, which no one would object to.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Agreed, the idea of the electrical room being accessed through a bathroom is just bad. Seen many incidences that the key was locked inside the bathroom, or they "accidentally" pushed the lock button after the person left, and had to get a locksmith to open the door. Took several days in a couple of cases.

Had one that someone had done just that design and it led to a lot of screaming when exiting the electrical room into an unknowingly "occupied" bathroom.
These are all operational issues. How often is the electrical room accessed?
Lock the bathroom door when using the electrical room.
Leave the access door open when using the electrical room.
Use a deadbolt style instead of a pushbutton one.
Key the bathroom door the same as the electric room.