electrical rooms

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcb

I was worendering if there is anything related to using an electrical room as storage or an office in the nec i canot find anything

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: electrical rooms

The NEC does not define the phrase ?Electric Room.? This is a very commonly used phrase, and we can all open a door, look in, and say, ?This is an Electric Room.? But the answer to the question that I think you are asking is that you can have an office, and you can store things, in the same room that also contains electrical equipment. I really don?t want any owners or architects knowing this, of course. ;) But it is not an NEC violation.

That said, the articles that celtic has cited tell you that you cannot store things in the areas that the NEC reserves for ?working clearance.? If you want to put a desk four feet away from a panel, the NEC will not stop you. The real problem is that stuff being stored has a tendency to ?breed.? :eek: Put one box in the room, and come back next week, and you will still see only one box. Put two boxes in the room, and come back next week, and you will see seven boxes. :eek: The only way to prevent infringement into the working clearance is to not allow any storage in the room at all.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by marinesgt0411:
it may not be a NEC code violation but is often a local fire code violation I suggest you check with the local fire marshall
How so?

There is really no such thing as an 'electric room' as far as the code is concerned.

Keep stuff out of the workspace required by 110.26 and your done.

If I install a panel in an office wall does that make the office an electric room?

What is the definition of an electric room?

dillon3c

Originally posted by iwire:
There is really no such thing as an 'electric room' as far as the code is concerned

What is the definition of an electric room?
ElectriycalrOOM = Electrical Equipment Room..?

* In Electrical Equipment Rooms,the illumination shall not be controlled by automatic means only..

iwire, this is one of those rooms , where,we can't control Illumination of lighting by automatic means alone..

surely you have seen one.. .. :D

wpaul29

The codes does not technically define an electric room in a definition sense but Art. 408.5 does talk about the location of switchboards. Also check out 408.7 an 408.8 Art. 450.41-48 covers
transformer vaults. I cant site the actual material but the NFPA does have requirements for dedicated spaces that are used for electrical equipment. Storing office supplies an or other things that might be easily egnitable is prohibited. In a more general sense the areas dedicated for electrical equipment are not storage rooms an shouldn't be used as such even though often you see you see it done. Most of the time there are specifically constructed fire rated walls that surround electrical equipment. Well enough rambling on just though I would add this info.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by wpaul29:
I cant site the actual material but the NFPA does have requirements for dedicated spaces that are used for electrical equipment.
Yes they sure do and they can be found in 110.26, none of which requires a dedicated room or prohibits storing 'stuff' in a room with electric equipment.

All that is required is 3' back from the face of the electrical equipment 30" wide or the full width of the equipment, which ever is larger.

Storing office supplies an or other things that might be easily egnitable is prohibited. In a more general sense the areas dedicated for electrical equipment are not storage rooms an shouldn't be used as such even though often you see you see it done.
Maybe by your insurance carrier or company policy but not by the NEC. We are not allowed to install a panel in a clothes closet.

wpaul29

Im not talking about small residential or commercial work. Im talking about switchgear rooms transformer vaults an such. Installations with stepdown transformers distribution panels etc.

wpaul29

Also the NEC is a publication of the NFPA an they have othrer material that relates to what I was saying was prohibited.

iwire

Staff member

Im not talking about small residential or commercial work. Im talking about switchgear rooms transformer vaults an such. Installations with stepdown transformers distribution panels etc.
Also the NEC is a publication of the NFPA an they have othrer material that relates to what I was saying was prohibited.
If you have a standard in mind let us know about it. :)

Until then I stand by my statement that the only rules that apply here for equipment under 600 volts are found in the NEC.

A room containing transformers, service panels, distribution panels and branch circuit panels may be used for storage of most anything if the 3' work space is maintained.

Keep in mind that all the equipment I mentioned above could be installed in almost any room. It is common to have all those items out in the open in say a factory or warehouse.

sceepe

I am with Iwire, maintain clear/working space and you can make it a storage room, office, classroom, corridor what ever you like. I have gotten architects to install fence separation in some storage rooms to keep boxes etc from creeping into the working space. Also, it limits access to the electrical equipment.

However, on the flip side, I work in a local jurisdiction that says if the room has a transformer over 112 KVA, its an "electrical room" and they want it rated.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by sceepe:
However, on the flip side, I work in a local jurisdiction that says if the room has a transformer over 112 KVA, its an "electrical room" and they want it rated.
That's understandable. :)

450.21 Dry-Type Transformers Installed Indoors.

450.21(B) Over 112 1/2 kVA.
Individual dry-type transformers of more than 112 1/2 kVA rating shall be installed in a transformer room of fire-resistant construction. Unless specified otherwise in this article, the term fire resistant means a construction having a minimum fire rating of 1 hour.

Exception No. 1: Transformers with Class 155 or higher insulation systems and separated from combustible material by a fire-resistant, heat-insulating barrier or by not less than 1.83 m (6 ft) horizontally and 3.7 m (12 ft) vertically.

Exception No. 2: Transformers with Class 155 or higher insulation systems and completely enclosed except for ventilating openings.
I do not see how this would effect storage in this room of rated construction.

Status
Not open for further replies.