Electrical Setup for Shipping Container Workshops and Storage Units

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
ceo
Hello Everyone,

I’m currently working on converting a shipping container into a workshop/storage unit on my property, and I’m looking for advice on the electrical setup. Since shipping containers are essentially metal boxes, I want to make sure I do everything by the book to ensure safety and compliance with the NEC.

Here’s what I’m planning:

• Power Source: I’ll be running a dedicated line from my main panel to the container. The distance is about 100 feet, so I’m considering the voltage drop and the proper wire size. Any recommendations on the best wire type for this setup?
  • Grounding: Given that the container is metal, I’m particularly concerned about proper grounding. I’ve read that a grounding rod might be necessary, but I’m not sure about the specifics for a container setup. Does anyone have experience with grounding in similar situations?
  • Interior Wiring: I plan to use EMT for all interior wiring to protect the wires from potential damage. I’m thinking about installing a small subpanel inside the container for distributing power to lights, outlets, and possibly a small air conditioning unit.
  • Lighting and Outlets: Since the container will be used as a workshop, I’ll need adequate lighting and a good number of outlets. I’m leaning towards LED lighting for energy efficiency and low heat output.
  • Ventilation and HVAC: I might add a small A/C unit or ventilation system. Any tips on wiring for HVAC in a metal container?
Questions:

1. Has anyone here worked on similar projects? Any lessons learned or tips you can share?
  2. What’s the best practice for grounding in this scenario?
  3. Should I be concerned about condensation affecting the wiring or electrical components?
Looking forward to your advice and insights!

Thanks in advance,

Last edited by a moderator:

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum’s rules.

This site is designed for:

Contractors
Electricians
Engineers
Inspectors
Instructors

This NEC Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Forum rules prohibit us from assisting a person to perform or assist others to do electrical work who are not qualified. The reason is that the forum’s owner does not want a person to get an answer to the question they asked, but not get answers to the other questions they should have asked and were unaware they needed to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.