Electrical systems mounted to handrails

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently found that a newly installed electrical system has utilized the hand rail system for not only support of aluminum conduit and racking but also plastic pull boxes, 480v plastic control panels, 120v analyzers and receptacles. I believe that all conduit, regardless of the plastic enclosures should be bonded at both ends through the mounting hubs. And all handrails should have a low impedance path to ground. Am I missing something here?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
What kind of handrails? Protective guard rails along roofs are typically used to mount al sorts of stuff.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I dont see how the handrails are likely to become energized.

As long as it does not interfere with the handrails primary function I dont see an issue. Depending on where mounted might.be a workspace violation.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like this is a waste or water treatment plant, most likely a waste water treatment plant due to the AL conduit. Yes the conduit needs to be bonded somehow. I will say from working at a WWTP handrails are often used for mounting equipment, rakes, life rings, etc.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
I currently found that a newly installed electrical system has utilized the hand rail system for not only support of aluminum conduit and racking but also plastic pull boxes, 480v plastic control panels, 120v analyzers and receptacles. I believe that all conduit, regardless of the plastic enclosures should be bonded at both ends through the mounting hubs. And all handrails should have a low impedance path to ground. Am I missing something here?
Care to post a photo so we can see?

brian john

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Handrails are commonly used in industrial facilities to support conduit, control stations, light standards and even junction boxes. The top rail must have at least 3" clearance per OSHA rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.