Electrical Trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

White Tiger

I am not sure exactly where to post this. I am a Truck Driver and have been for many years with an interest in becoming an Electrician but as with many people I cannot just quit my job and go to school as much as I would like to which leads me to my question. What would be the best study material that I could do at home on my own time? I have done some electrical work on our home on occasion but nothing major. I would appreciate any suggestions from professionals of the trade as to books that would point me in the right direction or what steps I could take in possibly achieving this goal. Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated from the professionals.I enjoy Mike Holts :)Forum very much.Thanks to everyone taking the time to answer my post.Have a Merry Christmas!

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
If I could do it again I would be an HVAC service tech.

Not me, if I had it to do over again I would still be an electrician, I have enjoyed this trade from early on in my career. I think I would have liked to have had more formal training at the engineering level though.

As far as training material, check into Mike Holt's beginner sets, there are others as well such as Tom Henery, James Stallcup, others, and probably some local vocational schools.

Roger

Last edited:

buddhakii

The problem is if you really do want to get into the trade you will eventually have to quit your job and work as an apprentice with a greatly reduced wage. Around here a lot of places you work at as an apprentice will pay for at least a portion of your school though. And from what I can tell from my apprentices is it doesn't eat up too much of their own time. Good luck in your venture if you do decide to make the move.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
The problem is if you really do want to get into the trade you will eventually have to quit your job and work as an apprentice with a greatly reduced wage.
I wouldn't be so sure - my dad is a truck driver and I made more per hour than he does now when I had two years in the trade. He may only have one skimpy year before coming back to his current pay.

I have never been big on schooling, but it can't hurt. I'm sure Mike's products are a good place to start.

ceb58

Its like being a truck driver. You must study to learn the rules and regulations. But until you put your butt in the seat you can only learn so much from a book. It will take hands on training and work experience. The how and when is up to you. You may find a shop that could use a part time helper that would fit in with your work schedule.

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
Honestly its like anything else. You could read book and that helps but its only goes so far. Mikes books are great however I truly feel the best way to learn is experience somethin and then ask questions. The forum is one of the best means to learn for all levels.

For exmaple you seaid you did some little things so you have experience even if it is real limited. Ask yoruself if you have any questions about your intallation? Do you wonder how it works or why you did something? Start there and build on it.

The best way to learn anything is to have a desire to learn somethign, a craving to figure out why somethign is such a way. I am sure i am nto telling you anythign you dont already know, I just feel the number one key to learnign is to want to understand why. Form there you can take it higher and higher and most likely accell faster than others.

Best of luck.

kwired

Electron manager
I went to a community college 20+ years ago. I feel it was a very good thing to do. I have an apprentice helper that talked about going to school to learn about this trade back when I hired him 3 years ago but still has not done so. He is a smart person and willing to learn, but is nowhere near the point I was after 3 years in his abilities to do electrical work. Every time we do something new to him or something we have not done for a while he needs to be taught how to do it.

When I was in college we covered basic electricity concepts, both in classroom and in labs - it really helps to do lab exercises to see what is happening instead of just reading - you can make your own analogies in your head to remember things easier when you see it instead of just reading it. We also had a code class, that covered everyting about the code from what is the NFPA, how the code making process works, to the organization of the articles and why they are arranged the way they are, and just reading and discussing each article. A lot of attention is put on certain parts such as 210, 220, 310, 406, 408, 410, 430 and how to use chapter 9. (note some sections were different then but with todays code those sections are what would have gotten more attention)

We also learned many things about motors - differences between shaded pole, capacitor start, PSC, wound rotor, polyphase, etc., motor controls, PLC's, conduit bending - simple stubs, offsets, saddles, multi segment bends, some solid state devices basics, PPE is probably much bigger topic being covered today than it was 20 years ago, we did go over LOTO practices. We also had a blueprint reading class.

We had residential wiring class and lab and commercial wiring class and lab. Those classes with the labs are a must just to learn how to connect a circuit with a single pole switch and a light(s), a set of three way plus four way switches and a light(s) or how to bend a simple stub up of conduit or tubing accurately, or simple offsets and saddles. My helper of three years can still mess these things up on a regular basis, I was reasonably good at them ever since taking classes on the particular task, and only improved the more I did them afterward. I never had trouble with 3 and 4 way switches after the first few weeks of school, yet I see people that have called themselves electricians for years that still have a hard time with 3 and 4 way switches.

I think learning many basic things in the school helps understand the more complicated things in the field when you run across them. Most complicated things are nothing more than multiple simple things combined and if you understand the simple things you can put them together in your head easier to understand the complex item.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Sign up for an apprenticeship. The real schooling is learned once you're in the trade, not in a book you'll read at home. Just my opinion of course...

You'll take a hit with the low wages right when you start, but rerates come often so depending on what you make now you'll catch up to that wage in a couple years or so.

Another big plus to me is being good with your hands and being able to think outside of the box to solve problems. I come from a farm background and a lot of the other electricians in our shop do too. So it's a little saddening when some of these guys come into the apprenticeship straight out of an office job or some other dead end place and haven't even used a power tool. When something doesn't go together just like it should, a fastener breaks off, etc they throw their hands up and can't figure out how to take care of it. I have one apprentice I'm constantly reminding(he's getting better now!) to use his channellocks the right direction....

Bottom line, I came into this a green as they come, but I caught on with no problem. The best trait you could have is an eagerness to learn.

Good luck to you. I love this job and the variety that comes with it.:cool:

For me at school. they didn't touch the code book. But then again, I went to a university that was more focused on research than helping students, so can't say I'm surprised they cut out pretty much everything that wasn't theory.

roger3829

For me at school. they didn't touch the code book. But then again, I went to a university that was more focused on research than helping students, so can't say I'm surprised they cut out pretty much everything that wasn't theory.

In Connecticut you need to be registered and working as an apprentice and take 750 hours of apprenticeship classes. After you complete 8000 hours of OJT and the classes you are eligble to take the Journeymans test, which has a 80% failure rate.......

kwired

Electron manager
In Connecticut you need to be registered and working as an apprentice and take 750 hours of apprenticeship classes. After you complete 8000 hours of OJT and the classes you are eligble to take the Journeymans test, which has a 80% failure rate.......

Is the test really that hard or is there a lot of applicants that are never going to be electricians?

SF Sparky

If you really are interested in becoming an electrician, I would contact your local IBEW union hall about their apprenticeship program. You will receive some of the best training you can get for free (minus paying for text books) and be able to work in the field at a descent wage. You may have to wait until the economy turns around however.

I am not sure exactly where to post this. I am a Truck Driver and have been for many years with an interest in becoming an Electrician but as with many people I cannot just quit my job and go to school as much as I would like to which leads me to my question. What would be the best study material that I could do at home on my own time? I have done some electrical work on our home on occasion but nothing major. I would appreciate any suggestions from professionals of the trade as to books that would point me in the right direction or what steps I could take in possibly achieving this goal. Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated from the professionals.I enjoy Mike Holts :)Forum very much.Thanks to everyone taking the time to answer my post.Have a Merry Christmas!

I am a Master Electrician as well carrying licenses several states, have been in the electrical field most of my working carrier and have also been a truck driver 48 states, drove last time for XMS out of Fort Dodge Iowa. Like others have mention if I have to do it again I will still be an electrician. My advice to you: if you are still young. It woul be to join the army and become an electrician there, you will get pay the same whether you are in training or asignment you may not be send to war, maybe you get asigned to a contruction battalion. I did the oposite in my I had several years of experience as an electrician before I went into the army and became a truck driver there, then when I got out I went back to the electrical trade.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Some Cos'. need drivers for bucket trucks etc. so you might be able to do both and make good pay!

Status
Not open for further replies.