Electrical Warning Signs

Status
Not open for further replies.

maryl

NEC article 110.16 indicates the need for warning signs on switchboards, panelboards, industrial control panels, and motor control centers but does not indicate the voltage. NEC article 110.33(C)uses the term warning for voltages over 600v; however, the warning sign should read "Danger..."
Q: Should the signal word for voltages between 50 and 600 volts be "Warning..." and 600v and over use "Danger.."? (I am aware of the 4 elements required on the signs. I am simply uncertain about signal word.)
OR, should Danger be use in all instances?

bphgravity

Re: Electrical Warning Signs

I would use something like this for the arc flash warning:

44-892.jpg

And something like this for the High Voltage warning:

4FS211.jpg

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Bryan,
The "danger - high voltage" sign is not a legal sign. It must also give a command as to how to avoid the danger. The "danger - high voltage - keep out" is the correct sign.
Don

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

A sign has to have three parts
The signal word danger
what to do
what happens if you don't
danger keep out high voltage is not a correct sign as it needs the logo.
for more inf, go to this great site:
http://www.safetylabel.com/
look at the bottom right and download the white paper

bphgravity

Originally posted by tom baker:
...for more inf, go to this great site:
http://www.safetylabel.com/
look at the bottom right and download the white paper
I went to this site back in February when Tom made this post and ordered a catalog and downloaded some great information. I just recieved the package yesterday. Enclosed are several example stickers, the ISO 3864 Part 2, and a full color catalog.

One of the free stickers shows a picture of a man being held upside-down and being shaken with all his money falling out of his poket. There is also a wallet and all the money is being pulled out of it. The wording on the sign reads:

DANGER! LAWYER OPPORTUNITY ZONE

Failure to have perfectly adequate warnings that anticipate every possible hazardous situation, no matter how remote, will result in litigation by hordes of lawyers who will make even the most innocent thing appear to be malicious willful intent by your company to cause a great harm to their client, and will leave you penniless and broken after wasting immense amounts of your time.
I think this statement is absolutely hilarious while at the same time being so very accurate in these days. I had to share it.

Thanks for posting that site Tom.

tgammon

Warning/Danger Signs for Electrical Panels

Warning/Danger Signs for Electrical Panels

Is there some standard or specification stating what should be on danger signs for electrical equipment?

I don't want to purchase ANSI Z535.4 unless it specifies what I need to know.

For example, should danger signs be on all panelboards 480V and above? Should the voltage be specified? What voltage is "high voltage"

I have not been able to find any information from NEMA, or any specific requirements in OSHA regulations or the NEC.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.