Electrician Certification Required.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhanson

Occupation
General Journeyman Electrician
In California We (electricians) are required to be Certified if we are employed by a C-10 Electrical Contractor.

Does this law apply accross the board, to all persons working as electricians,?
How about the Electrician working for a General Contractor, or the Landscape Contractor, Home Improvement Contractor, etc...?

Michael H.
Certified Electrician
Redwood City
CA.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I don't think other trades can hire certified electricians on hourly bases.
Other trades hire contractors on contract or hourly bases.

Your best bet is to contact department of industrial relations or contractor state license board.

mhanson

Occupation
General Journeyman Electrician
:: Edward - 11/23/12
"I don't think other trades can hire certified electricians on hourly bases.
Other trades hire contractors on contract or hourly bases.

Your best bet is to contact department of industrial relations or contractor state license board. "

Edward,
Thank You for your input, and I will take your suggestion of contacting the contractor state license board.
As a common practice, many General Contractors, Handymen, Landscape contractors etc... will handle electrical work associated with their other projects (sometimes minor, sometimes major) by their own staff. and in many cases, I find a handful of NEC Code violations, leaving a home owner with both fire and shock hazards.
The city buildind inspectors I've asked about this are in agreement that it is an acceptable practice for non C-10 contractors to accomplish electrical projects associated with work within their trade classifications.

I find it odd and inconsistant with what I feel is the purpouse of the certification process, and that is to ensure, to the best of the states ability, that all electricians meet a certain level of experience and are able to prove a certain level of Code knowledge and competency on the job.

As far as I can tell at this point, a huge loop hole has been left, leaving other trades free to accomplish electrical work without the need to meet the same level of electrical knowledg expected of our Certified Electricians.

Thank You, sory if I got too wordy.
Michael H.
Certified Electrican
Redwood City, CA.

Status
Not open for further replies.