Electrician

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Can you tag out a light switch to fix a lighting fixture in a room?

You can "tag it out", I suppose, but what is missing is the "lock out" part of the Lock Out/Tag Out combination.

Even if it was in my sight the whole time, I would not feel comfortable working on the fixture unless I could figure out a way to at least lock the switch against casual operation.
If the work is covered by OSHA, no way!

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
You can "tag it out", I suppose, but what is missing is the "lock out" part of the Lock Out/Tag Out combination.

Even if it was in my sight the whole time, I would not feel comfortable working on the fixture unless I could figure out a way to at least lock the switch against casual operation.
If the work is covered by OSHA, no way!

GIYF; see here.

41DzQbtJCUL._SX342_.jpg

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If the toggle switch is within sight how is this any different than a toggle switch being used as a disconnecting means for a piece of equipment?

jtinge

Occupation
Sr. Elec. Engr
Here is an OSHA interpretation letter on the subject.

Attachments

• OSHA light switch interpretation.pdf
    35.5 KB · Views: 1

kwired

Electron manager
If the toggle switch is within sight how is this any different than a toggle switch being used as a disconnecting means for a piece of equipment?
I agree. If you need to lock out even if within sight - that is beyond what NEC requires but a reality many have to face.

In a raceway wiring method the outlet box at the light could have other circuits within also that aren't even disconnected if you turn of the branch breaker that supplies the light.

If you are only working on the light the switch or the branch breaker for it may be all you need to turn off (and lock out). If you are working on other items in the outlet box then you very well may need to lock off multiple circuits.

kwired

Electron manager
I had thought the 'means to lockout' were to be permanent re>110.25, but it appeasr the osha doc differs?

~RJ~
Correct for when NEC requires a lockable disconnecting means.

About only time NEC gets involved with lockable disconnecting means is situations where the disconnecting means is not within sight of the equipment it serves, yet NEC doesn't have a general rule for all remote disconnecting means to be lockable - just specific situations.

LOTO safety programs want things locked off in all instances, even if it means using temporary locking means, and usually doesn't matter if the disconnect is within sight or not.

The within sight disconnect NEC requires for motors- doesn't need to be lockable. Your safety program will want you to lock it if you use that to disconnect power to work on that motor or it's driven load though.

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
One more:
There are a lot of MWBC on single pole circuit breakers.
I think that gadget could be useful, not perfect but neither are the cb lock outs.
No garranties that anything is safe to work on.
Remember treat every wire as if it is live.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.