Electricity From Air

4-20mA

an analog man in a digital world
Occupation
Instrumentation & Electrical

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
I'm thinking this is going to end up producing enough energy to charge your cell phone in 10 or 12 days provided conditions are just right

Wasn't there a university behind that Waterseer thing that was going to harvest water out of thin air. And it was going to quench the thirst of poor little children living in the desert

And even if it did work, have you ever tasted condensate water?

Last edited:

4-20mA

an analog man in a digital world
Occupation
Instrumentation & Electrical
And even if it did work, have you ever tasted condensate water?

I have not. But maybe the bad taste came from your hands on the outside of the glass you licked the condensate from. I can't imagine evaporator coil condensate made water being any better...

Screw it, I'll bite. Where did you taste yours?

Then, back to the topic at hand some too lol

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
Screw it, I'll bite. Where did you taste yours?
emoji38.png

Working on a big industrial cooler on the production line in a food plant. Thing is like 20 feet tall 25 feet long and 12 feet wide. Crazy conveyor system runs all through it carrying trays of product. They called us and said there was a chiller water leak (Huge chiller system up on the plant roof). Dim in there and all kinds of machinery so it's hard to find leaks. So I told my buddy to take the top and I'd crawl under. I saw that one of the condensate drains was missing a hose clamp so I pulled it off and there was no condensate coming down. Right about then my buddy stuck a long screwdriver down from the top and cleared the clog. It's like a 2 inch pipe and the condensate catch pans were filled to the top I'll bet there was at least 50 gallons in there and I was in a spot so tight I had to wiggle to get in

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
The article doesn't explain what the ultimate source of the energy is, and so triggers a 'perpetual motion scam' warning flag when I read it.

I followed the link to the journal article and IMHO the device is plausible but oversold. They have a system which develops a surface charge when water evaporates or condenses. Ok, lots of energy is exchanged when water changes state, so extraciting a bit of that is plausible.

But it only works when water is changing state. If you have a desiccant container in a humid room, water will condense and the desiccant will heat up, but only until the desiccant is saturated.

This system, if it works, will only produce electricity when it is not in equilibrium with its ambient conditions.

It could (in theory!) produce electricity on a somewhat continuous basis if ambient conditions are changing (diurnal fluctuations in humidity levels), or if some external source maintains a humidity gradient (evaporation to dry air in a location where sun keeps the air dry).

But at best this device is extracting energy from humidity gradients, not creating electricity from equilibrium air.

Think about clocks that are wound by barometric pressure changes, and you get an idea about where this thing might be useful.