electricity

Status
Not open for further replies.

fstptchr

Is there somewhere in the NEC that requires a landlord to provide electricity to all rooms of a house? My bathroom is without electricity and my landlord says there is no law that requires her to fix it. If I don't like it, I can move.

peter d

Re: electricity

It depends on when the building was built and what codes were in force at the time, and what state and/or city in which the building is located. There is a high probability you may be out of luck.

[ October 03, 2005, 04:39 PM: Message edited by: peter d ]

fstptchr

thanks peter; city is golden; the municiple code adopted the NEC 1996 edition. Does that help?

bphgravity

Forget about the NEC, you won't get help there. Every city, county, state, etc.. has requirements and laws landlords must meet. Sometimes this is handled by the community development code compliance board. Every area is different. I would go that route.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Are you saying that it doesn't even have an electric light, or just that it doesn't have an outlet that you could plug a razor or hair dryer into?

The fact that the city now enforces the 1996 code is not relevant. What would have mattered is what year was the building built, and what code was in effect at that time. If (for example) this building is over 50 years old, the landlord has a case for saying that "It's not been a problem for the 15 other tenants who lived here before you."

PLEASE NOTE: IMPORTANT SAFETY TIP

If you plan on bringing an extension cord into the bathroom, just so you can plug in your razor, then please find a way to connect it to an outlet that has Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) protection. It's possible, even likely, that you will not find a GFCI outlet close enough to the bathroom for an extension cord to reach. But you can buy at least two different types of GFCI protectors that could serve your needs. The simplest one is a box that you plug into a regular outlet, and that you plug other stuff into. The GFCI protection components are internal to the box. Another thing you can buy is an extension cord with the GFCI components built into the cord itself. I've seen the first type for about $10.00. I bought the other type (6 foot extension cord) for about $30.00.

While I'm on this soap box, let me add that if your house (like mine) is old, and if you house (like mine) has no GFCI outlets outside, then you should get one of these "portable" GFCI devices for your use outdoors. The reason I bought one is that there are no GFCI outlets available to me outside. You should NEVER operate any portable electrical equipment (e.g., week whackers, leaf blowers, or hand tools) outside, and you should especially NEVER use an extension cord outdoors, unless you can confirm that you have it plugged into a GFCI-protected outlet.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

Originally posted by fstptchr:
Is there somewhere in the NEC that requires a landlord to provide electricity to all rooms of a house? My bathroom is without electricity and my landlord says there is no law that requires her to fix it. If I don't like it, I can move.
I think the NEC does in fact require electrical outlets in each room (within 6 feet of each corner) and clearly the bathrooms require outlets.

However, its possible the code in effect at the time the builidng was built did not require it.

OTOH, most places require the building to be habitable or you cannot rent it. I can't imagine it would be considered habitable without electricity in the bathroom.

Personally, I would move. This landlord sounds like a PITA. Best to just get the heck away.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer

I want to know where to get a week whacker. Sounds like just what I need.

Mark

torcho

Originally posted by petersonra:
I think the NEC does in fact require electrical outlets in each room (within 6 feet of each corner) and clearly the bathrooms require outlets.

Where is the 6 foot from corner rule? :confused: I thought it was 6 feet from any break in wall space and no more than 12 feet apart in dwelling units.

eletrick

The real discussion seems to be about the ?week whacker?!
I have a weekend whacker! (called The Wife)
Need more input!
(Is it not great that we can take a simple typo and have some fun!)
;)

Status
Not open for further replies.