electrolysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

physis

Re: electrolysis

If you put a current through two conductors with an electrolyte between them (dirty water works for that) the water will be separated into oxygen and hydrogen. The oxygen collects on I think the positive one (the anode) while the hydrogen collects on the negative (cathode). The side where the oxygen is is where the problems will be. The conductor oxidizes.

I think I have it pretty much right.

Edit: I left a word out.

[ June 29, 2005, 03:09 AM: Message edited by: physis ]

physis

And if you need a current source two different kinds of metal in soggy goop can make a battery.

domnic

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

so if i have copper water lines in a building and the supply is copper electrolysis is present.

physis

No.

You don't get electrolysis just because things are made out of copper.

But it is true that copper water pipes can find numerous ways to get involved in electroysis. I don't know much about the chemistry but I think copper is a noble metal and that makes it really enjoy be involved in electrolysis. And also makes it easy to turn it into a battery and create it's own current.

Iron can have trouble too but the pipes are a lot thicker and I don't think iron get's into it as much.

The way that different metals oxidize makes a difference too.

Edit: I wanted to add some info.

[ June 29, 2005, 05:14 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

physis

If you have two different things that are conductive stuck in mud and you put a current through them you will have electrolysis.

How far apart they from each other and how wet the mud is will effect the amount of current that will flow.

If the current is DC oxygen will collect on one of the conductors and eat the thing up.

tx2step

Per the dictionary:

Electrolysis: n. 1. the passage of an electric current through an electrolyte with subsequent migration of ions to the electrodes.

That's the simple definition, but it can get pretty complicated. It can happen in a variety of ways, and in a variety of places and with a variety of different metals.

Domnic:

It would be helpful if you would ask more specific questions and provide more information, background and context.

Are you concerned about damaging underground copper water lines by using them as a grounding electrode? If that is the case, then I've been told that studies have shown that damage to the underground Cu water pipes rarely occurs from that source.

If you will elaborate, then I'm sure someone in this forum can and will answer whatever question that you have.

physis

Your dictionary definition is a good one tx2step. It's not too simplistic. It's what happens. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.