Electromagnetic fan support - UL listed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PetrosA

:lol:

Today was a real first for me. I went back to a rental property where I had been on a service call before the holidays to check the fan remotes throughout the unit. The unit was empty because the police had raided the previous tenant looking for a drug stash. While checking a fan in an upstairs bedroom, I saw that the ~12" canopy had been attached to a round piece of plywood, and screwed from the top. The owner asked me to come back at some point and take care of the jerry rig. I went back today and got up into the attic space. What I found is something I couldn't have predicted in 1000 years.

010.jpg

Electromagnet, power supply, charger circuit, 12V battery backup, remote (wireless) switch and rubber bungee.

I wasn't even sure how to remove the thing at first, but I got it figured out at last. The wiring was totally scary:

013.jpg

The magnet is a monster. It had to be, since I hadn't even felt the fan budge when I took it apart the first time. I can only wonder who designed this setup and what they must have spent on the parts.

014.jpg

The bungee was wrapped around a 2x4 and connected to two eye screws (the photo only shows it attached to one eye on the plate so I could lower it myself) which prevented the fan from falling when the magnet was disengaged, and allowed it to be pulled down enough to reach into the attic space "storage compartment." It takes a few seconds to charge up the magnet enough to hold the fan, but still, it must have been a pretty effective system. I would never expect a 52" fan to be removable...

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Wow!

Rube Goldberg would be impressed!

Thanks for posting the pics, they are truly worth thousands of words. A handful of which are neither suitable for posting here on this forum, nor uttering in the presence of mixed company.

I am wondering what would have happened had the electromagnet failed whilst the fan was spinning. That would have been interesting.

Last edited:

PetrosA

Rube Goldberg's name passed my lips over and over and over as I was trying to dismantle that thing, along with some choice Olde English ;)

I think the battery was supposed to prevent the fan from falling during a power failure. I found the maglock online and it's rated for 1200 lbs. which theoretically should be more than enough to hold that fan, and probably enough to hold a "Big Ass Fan" as well. It doesn't seem to need much power once the magnet is engaged so I'll bet that on battery it can last a long time.

I will check the outlets when I go back, as well as the other fans. I'm pretty sure I saw two receiver units on the kitchen counter which at the time I assumed had been replaced and left behind. Now there's another explanation...

Status
Not open for further replies.