Electronics work on all breakers in house except 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, stop right there. The only logical next step is to replace the box. Forget the breaker and receptacle. Forget wasting more money on ECs.

-Hal

Neighbor came ove a few weeks ago with his laptop not charging. Worked in his kitchen but not at his desk. Both outlets good, 120 Vac.

Found his 19V cord had an internal wire broken. Moved stuff around when not working and charge indicator came on.
On his desk the cord hung down and the internal break was open. On the kitchen table, the cord was flat and internal break made contact.

Long shot, but move the 12 V cable around and see if the 12 V comes and goes?

Im having them bring another box out but like i said, the current box works in any other room, just not on those 6 outlets that are sharing a breaker. Still in the process of moving in but plan to swap breaker in question with one i know it works on and see if the issue happens in new room.

kwired

Electron manager
Im having them bring another box out but like i said, the current box works in any other room, just not on those 6 outlets that are sharing a breaker. Still in the process of moving in but plan to swap breaker in question with one i know it works on and see if the issue happens in new room.
I might have lost track on what is what, but can you run other items from those 6 outlets? Hair dryer, heat gun, or some other 1000 -1500 watt load is a good test load, if there is a weak connection anywhere in the circuit heavy load like that will yield some symptoms of such problems.

I might have lost track on what is what, but can you run other items from those 6 outlets? Hair dryer, heat gun, or some other 1000 -1500 watt load is a good test load, if there is a weak connection anywhere in the circuit heavy load like that will yield some symptoms of such problems.

Microwave is only thing ive tried on it that i thought would pull a heavy load. Will try a couple of my wife's hair dryers this evening.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

This is one of those situations where the customer is feeding us information. One of the first rules of electrical servicing is that you NEVER take the customer's word for anything. ALWAYS check and verify the complaint yourself. There are so many things that he is telling us that just doesn't make sense or add up. Troubleshooting is a learned logical procedure and what you are doing has no logic to it at all. This is why we usually don't allow questions like this from non-professionals.

-Hal

rt66electric

What else is on the same circuit??

What else is on the same circuit??

What else (other receptacles ) is on the same circuit???

Turn of the breaker in question and see what else goes off, Unplug all other loads and check for voltage.

Is the circuit in question on a 3-wire feeder? (red and black wires sharing a neutral) If so, then check the neutral connections that share both circuits.

Is the plug for the cable box a 2-wire or grounded type ??

hbiss

Occupation
EC
He's already said that even when the box isn't working he still gets the proper 12vdc from the external power supply plugged into the wall.

I'll ask the OP one more question before I relegate this thread to my virtual trash bin:

Define "not working" for us.

-Hal

kwired

Electron manager
He's already said that even when the box isn't working he still gets the proper 12vdc from the external power supply plugged into the wall.

I'll ask the OP one more question before I relegate this thread to my virtual trash bin:

Define "not working" for us.

-Hal
He wants to get channels he didn't subscribe to, therefore it is not working the way he wants it to.:D

JPinVA

Let's recap a few things:

1. New home (or new home for resident); either way, this is the existing condition.
2. DVR does not work on one circuit.
3. DVR DOES work on any other circuit.
4. Electrician "friend" checks and observed 123V.
5. DVR still does not work on the one circuit.
6. Another electrician friend checks the panel; finds nothing.
7. DVR NOW WORKS on the circuit in question.
8. Works for one day...then fails.

Note that the 123V at number 4 doesn't mean much without a load. You will read 123V at an open point (i.e., outlet terminals) when there is a high resistance on the line. The DVR needs both the rated voltage AND the rated current. If the resistance is high (loose/partial connection) on the line, it won't work even if a voltmeter reads 120.

Note that the circuit started working for the FIRST time after 6. Electrician checks the panel...the breaker. THEN the DVR works for the FIRST TIME.

Something the second electrician did createed a situation where the necessary current could flow.

Then it failed again. This can be attributed to heat/expansion or other failure related to a loose connection.

My hypothesis is something is loose. First "guess" is the breaker, breaker connections, or the neutral landing.

hbiss

Occupation
EC
Still not discounting what you said about the 12vdc being present when the box was not working but at this point I'll humor you. So we'll go on the premise that power is interrupted to that receptacle string. If so, I would be suspecting back stabbed receptacles.

Ever think of plugging a lamp into the other half of the receptacle along with the box, hmm? Does the lamp go off and on with the box?

-Hal

Ok so here's the update:

Breaker in question (Living Room) got swapped with known working breaker (Den). DVR did not have any problems in Den.

Got new TV stand today that houses fireplace. Fireplace works on the outlet as well as the TV, blueray and Surround simultaneously. Decided to give the DVR box one last attempt at doing its job in living room. Plugged in DVR and it started to boot. Then i touched the coax cable to the cable IN post and it shut off. Remove contact with coax and it cuts back on. Now i think theres something going on with the coax cable. (note: in previous attempts at powering on the DVR i had the coax already screwed on). So i decide to give the smaller HD receiver box a test in same fashion. The small box DOES NOT shut off when it makes contact with the cable. Faulty DVR is logical explanation however, it DOES NOT shut off when connected to coax in another room. :rant: Time to burn the house down and start over. lol

And when i say DVR wont work i am referring to it will not power on at all, not that it wont give me channels i dont pay for lol.

The DVR is a larger box that comes with a 12v power supply, the HD receiver is simply a 5" x 5" x 1" box that the power cord plugs directly into, no intermediate power block on cord.

Happy Holidays All!!

Brand new doesn’t mean it works correctly.

Yeah but wanted to put that out there in case anyone was to ask if it was the existing coax.

However, I just came home from Chrietmas Eve dinner, box has been on for about 5 hours now with no cable hooked to it. I hooked the cable to it and it DIDNT shut off. I'm about to pull out the little hair I have left.

hbiss

Occupation
EC
I was going to talk about whether the cables (input and TV) were connected to the box each time a test was made but it would have only confused the situation further. The only solid information you gave us was that there was 12vdc present at all times from the power supply indicating that there is a problem with the box. But I wouldn't have even gone that far.

I don't know why people try to figure out problems with cable themselves. For what we pay those thieving b******, make them send someone over and fix it!

-Hal

So the dang box has been working for a week straight now lol. What a waste of time this turned out to be. I'm still baffled but atleast its resolved itsself for the time being. Thank you all for taking an interest and I commend you all for the work you do. Not sure my A.D.D. would be able to keep track of more than 1 or 2 circuits at a time much less an entire building lol. Take care.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.