Elevator feeders in hospitals per MA code

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

This question pertains to NEC and applicable MA ammendment on the subject to 700.9(D).

A copy of these ammendments can be found here.

http://www.mass.gov/Eeops/docs/dfs/osfm/cmr/cmr_secured/527012.pdf

My question pertains to the intent/meaning of the MA ammendment to 700-9(D). While this is a long revision, the opening paragragh is what troubles me the most. And this by the way is to replace the verbage in 700-9(D) in its entirety. It reads:

Fire Separation: Emergency system feeders, wiring to elevator machine rooms including the cab lighting disconnecting means, and wiring to fire pumps shall comply with 700.9(D)(1) and (2). (D)(1) and (2) primarily deal with the fact that we need to have our emeregency systems in dedicated 2 hour rooms and run feeders for emergency systems via 2 hour rated means for which we would typically use MI.

Now - 517 does not require elevators themselves to be part of the Emergency System. What is required to be on the emergency system is per 517.32(G) Elevators, elevator cab lighting, control, communications and signal systems but not the elevators themselves. These I would be inclined to put on the Equipment Branch which is consistent with verbiage in 517 as well.

The question is whether or not our ammendment to the NEC requires Elevator Feeders to be 2 hour rated. I note that the opening paragragh to this ammendment does not state "All" feeders to the elevator machine room just "feeders to the elevator machine room". Since it doesn't say all, could one deduce that we are talking about those feeders going to the room that are defined as being part of the Emergency system as, in the case of hospitals those covered under 517.32?

If you're still with me, what do you think?

Thanks,

Mike

marti smith

Looks like "feeders, wiring to elevator machine rooms..." and then in (2) you have a location for portions of em. sys. feeders, but I'm not seeing where you clearly state the elevator feeders are to be 2 hr rated.

Status
Not open for further replies.