Elevator working space

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan_618

I propose to delete the portion that I have added bold font to:

620.5 Working Clearances.
Working space shall be provided about controllers, disconnecting means, and other electrical equipment. The minimum working space shall not be less than that specified in 110.26(A).
Where conditions of maintenance and supervision ensure that only qualified persons examine, adjust, service, and maintain the equipment, the clearance requirements of 110.26(A) shall be waived as permitted in 620.5(A) through 620.5(D).
(A) Flexible Connections to Equipment. Electrical equipment in (A)(1) through (A)(4) shall be permitted to be provided with flexible leads to all external connections so that it can be repositioned to meet the clear working space requirements of 110.26(A):
(1) Controllers and disconnecting means for dumbwaiters, escalators, moving walks, wheelchair lifts, and stairway chairlifts installed in the same space with the driving machine
(2) Controllers and disconnecting means for elevators installed in the hoistway or on the car
(3) Controllers for door operators
(4) Other electrical equipment installed in the hoistway or on the car
(B) Guards. Live parts of the electrical equipment are suitably guarded, isolated, or insulated, and the equipment can be examined, adjusted, serviced, or maintained while energized without removal of this protection.
FPN: See definition of Exposed in Article 100.
(C) Examination, Adjusting, and Servicing. Electrical equipment is not required to be examined, adjusted, serviced, or maintained while energized.
(D) Low Voltage. Uninsulated parts are at a voltage not greater than 30 volts rms, 42 volts peak, or 60 volts dc.

Substantiation: If the equipment metts (C), 110.26 does not apply.

Side note: WOW! I can't beleive this is even in the code!!! :D :eek:

iwire

Staff member
Re: Elevator working space

Originally posted by ryan_618:
Side note: WOW! I can't beleive this is even in the code!!! :D :eek:
I have wondered why any of 620 is in the NEC.

In this area a major battle would break out if the electrical inspector started poking around elevator shafts and elevator machine rooms.

All we do is drop the disconnects near the door, provide lights, receptacles and fire alarm connections. The elevator dudes and dudettes take care of the rest under the eye of the elevator inspectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.