Elevator Xtrm, OCPDs hodgepodge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tachyon2

Occupation
Electrician
I have a 45kva 208/120v to 480v 3ø - reverse wired - Delta/Wye transformer grounded to a steel colum with #2str .Primary Conductors: 3/0 with a fused 200A OCPD next to it, that is supplied by a 200A, 65k breaker within the main electrical room 30 ft away. (120/208v 225A PRL1 withbreaker Subfeed )
The 45kva transformer secondary is supplying a 40a fused' 100A 600v rated disconnect that is within 5' feet of the txrm. Then the circuit pipes up 110 ft up an Elevator hoistway to feed one more '40A ( 100A 600v fused rated Disconnect.) Then 15' to the NEW elevator controller No conductors are landed as yet. ( FLA 25A / 6.5 HP )
My thought is there might have been a larger Xtrm in place of the 45k in the past. 75KVA? Also they must have sized conductors to 250% (NEC 450.3(b) in mind.

My questions are:
What do I need to change out to brings this setup code compliant as it will be soon be combed over by the AHJ,
What can I leave in place?
IE : drop my Trxm primary breaker size and feeder size, primary fuse size/ hoistway conductor size?

One last detail, there is #1 thhn leaving the Secondary OCPD, running to the rooftop mechanical rm's service OCDP. Unknown why it's so oversized. I assume this is too large to clear a fault to the xtrm's adjacent secondary OCPD
Thanks for the help!

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The transformer primary fuses should be changed to 175 amp (or 150) to satisfy the 450.3 125% primary rule.
The elevator controller might well be marked for required OCP and can fuse the secondary accordingly.

Tachyon2

Occupation
Electrician
thanks augie47.. If that's all.. that's great, Client will be relieved. the elv controller specs provides no other details than the motor FLA/HP. we have RFI'd...nada
25A x %125 = 31.25A = 40A

Status
Not open for further replies.