Elevator

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have elevator in assembly place with 500 people two stories including basement. Engineer put elevator on optional standby system. Does NEC 2017 say anything in regards if elevator should be on legally required system or optional standby system? If not NEC 2017 then which code?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I have elevator in assembly place with 500 people two stories including basement. Engineer put elevator on optional standby system. Does NEC 2017 say anything in regards if elevator should be on legally required system or optional standby system? If not NEC 2017 then which code?
See 620.91 and ANSI 17.1

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Have to say I’m not too sure. There’s probably a lot of ups and downs to each system.

What the OP question is that not an IBC issue not NEC? If the elevator is part of an accessible means of egress the it needs to be on legally required. Who determines if its part of accessible form of egress? Building code IBC or NEC?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
What the OP question is that not an IBC issue not NEC? If the elevator is part of an accessible means of egress the it needs to be on legally required. Who determines if its part of accessible form of egress? Building code IBC or NEC?
Building codes and ANSI. Like emergency lighting in general, the requirements of where and how many is by other codes, the NEC only tells how to wire them.

ron

Depending on the Architectural design, will determine what kind of elevator it is (accessible means of egress, fire service or occupant evacuation).

Generally if it needs to be on a generator (Emergency or legally required) is from the IBC (where they are called emergency and standby power systems respectively), Section 2702.2.2 which sends you to Sections 1009.4.1 and 1009.5, 3007.8 and 3008.8 https://codes.iccsafe.org/content/IBC2021P2/chapter-27-electrical

Status
Not open for further replies.