Elevators

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atxrl1983

What type of electrical and fire alarm is required by NEC and elevator code. I know elevator contractors always want extra receptacles and lights. I was wondering what is the minimum that is required. In the bottom pits, over head pits, shafts walls, controller rooms and even lobbies. Thanks for the help

cadpoint

You need to get with the elevator erector, most will tell you exactly when, where, why.

Everything has to have a pipe, Service, F/A, only light and recp. - can share a pipe.
Be sure you have pipe and/or wiring and complete understanding for who and where is controlling the shunt wire for the elevator. Sometimes its included in circuit and sometimes it controlled by F/A. Sometimes the Main F/A will just need a pipe to shunt breaker in main.

Most Engineer miss the spec's for Elevator Disconnects, get with Elev peps for correct Fuse sizing.

You will not be able to use the shaft as a raceway, you will not be able to
use the elevator's electrical race way either.

You need a light switch on ladder rail side of pit, But let them tell you where and height.

Your might have light and recp. both low and high, you might have to feed the elevator twice with F/A.

Pit F/A has to be away pit sprinkler if sprinkler is down there. If Sprinkler not down there F/A might or might not be required.

If pit and foundation not poured route pipe to hit a corner of pit. Or come back down to foundation of pit from ceiling above.

Watch for Vent Dampers in high Shaft make sure the Elevator Tech see that sometimes it will just disappears.

New Designs are taking power to elevator room (on highest floor) then to top of Elev. well, elevator disconnects are up there also.

We sometimes can get away with only seal tight compression fitting and EMT on cast FX boxes. Round are nice for lights! Your mileage may vary.

This are all Mechanical Code Spec's, listen to the Elevator pep's they won't steer
you wrong. Good Luck.

Last edited:

burghfan1203

Having done nine elevators in the last two years, I ensure that we get the following circuits from the panel to the elevator machine room. From that machine room, I can get any circuit to it's location.
1. Pit lighting/GFI
2. Sump pump-elevator pit
3. Machine room lighting/GFI
4. Shunt trip
5. Exhaust fan-some type of ventilation will be required in the machine
room
6. Cab light circuit
7. Spare-I always pull a spare to that room.

Keep in mind that there are minimum lighting requirements in the elevator machine room, elevator pit, and the elevator lobby. Here in Ohio, I ensure that I have 10-foot candles at each location. The state elevator inspector here takes a measurement at each location and in the lobby, this measurement is taken with the doors closed.

Fire alarm drawings should clearly show what is required, I make provisions to include four relay modules in the elevator machine room.
1. Primary recall
2. Secondary recall
3. Fireman's hat
4. Shunt trip

I use a four square box for each device, locating them close to the elevator machine. Keep in mind that primary recall, secondary recall, and hat will terminate in the elevator machine. I am required to have one smoke detector and at least one heat detector, located within 24" of a sprinkler head. If more than one sprinkler head, a heat detector is required within 24" of each location.

The elevator machine will require a phone line, as well.

Hope I have been of some help. Befriend the elevator mechs, they won't steer you wrong. If you like, I could post some pics of the elevators we are currently building.

Status
Not open for further replies.