EM Lighting Webinar

Status
Not open for further replies.

IMFOTP

Does anyone know of a good webinar on NFPA 70 and the requirements of emergency lighting. I'm getting confused by 700.24 & 700.25.

Genset on site....

If you have a simple classroom and need (1) fixture to override control and operate on emergency power, but still be switched with the rest of the fixtures, its my understanding that you can no longer use something like an integral Bodine GTD or Iota ETS. Instead you need to use something like a Wattstopper ELCU-200, which even though it is listed as UL 924 (same as Bodine GTD) you can use normal lighting switch to control emergency lighting (I'm looking at each wiring diagram). I'm not understanding how, if both GTD and ELCU are UL 924, why does one need a dedicated switch on the emergency input while the other can use the normal switched input to monitor switch state?

And then there's the implications of 700.24, I read in an explanation that per 700.24, "control devices that participate in the activation of emergency luminaires upon loss of normal power (either by disconnection of the control circuit or by providing an active signal) must also have a UL924 listing". Does this mean that if your using and external control device that disconnects the 0-10v signal, both that device and the fixture need to be UL 924 Listed?

I asked this question before and the answers seemed to devolve into "just use a battery pack"

Adamjamma

my understanding, without going to the code book, is simple... a battery system of electric lights, wired as not controlled by the room light switches, but to the main power circuit from the panel, covers the emergency lighting in the room, as once the main power is turned off, by breaker, or by power outage, the battery takes over and runs the light.

Otherwise, you need special wiring to a fire panel, powered by separate emergency power supplies, and usually colored red conduits etc... to accomplish the same thing.

Thus why most people take the easy way of putting in those battery system lights, though then you need a reqular maintenance system of testing and battery replacements for all rooms rather than one central location.

But, that is just what I understand from many years of being around systems, not from actual reading of code.

Status
Not open for further replies.