em tap

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky=t

have a job that we are quoting, replace exisiting ATS, it is fed off of a 300 amp 480 volt switchboard (ITE) dated 1985, tapped right after main switch using 750 kcmil AL, service has 3000a KRPC fuses, customer now wants to add a disco between main disco and ATS for testing (this is an retirement / nursing facility) with out dropping the whole building :cool:, problem is board is full up, electrical room is full, I can get a breaker & enclosure in on the opposite wall after moving xfrmr, however that puts me just under 25' of tap and the largest conduit I can get into board is 2" due to over head clearances. by the way siemens does not have drawings any more as it is 25 yrs and the PA plant closed.

Ideas? thanks

skeshesh

Don't think it's a bad question, just a bad situation. Physical limitations are perhaps the hardest to overcome. Anyway, how about directly above the room? is there somewhere you can toss an enclosed circuit breaker directly above that would give you a shorter distance? Also give us some breaker sizings so we can see what tap rules apply. I had a job last year with a somewhat similar situation and JUST made it by installing an enclosed CB smack in the middle of a... umm let's call it the "space" by providing unistrut support from ceiling to floor and mounting a circuit breaker enclosure onto it. It was pretty tricky to make sure the required work spaces were not violated but we managed to satisfy all authorities (not the least of which was OSHPD which can be a real pain). BTW, said building was built in the 40's and the electrical/mechanical area was a "bit" crowded to say the least!

Status
Not open for further replies.