Emergency Disconnect

Dalton1989

Occupation
Electrician
A friend built a 32' by 32' woodshop on the property of his single family dwelling. He and Utilities agreed to splice off the existing service conductors feeding the transformer near his house and install an additional transformer near his new woodshod. Then he wants a 200A service solely for the woodshop. Can anyone say whether or not this new service, which will only serve his new woodshop, needs the emergency disconnect on the outside of the building?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If you go by the wording in the book then I would say it is not required because the section only pertains to one and two family dwellings. I would check with your local authority as they may require the workshop to have an emergency disconnect because it is on the property of a single family dwelling, but that is not what the code states.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It's simply not required. The wording in 230.85 is clear in that it states dwelling units.

230.85 Emergency Disconnects.
For one- and two-family dwelling units,

Dwelling Unit.
A single unit, providing complete and independent living facilities for one or more persons, including permanent provisions for living, sleeping, cooking, and sanitation. (CMP-2)

david

680.41 "shall not apply to one family dwellings"

Everyone agrees the rules for dwellings do not apply as the OP asked because it's not a dwelling even though it's on a dwelling premise.

I was not being serious when I posted.
But the logic isn't always that clear cut.

david

680.41 "shall not apply to one family dwellings"

Everyone agrees the rules for dwellings do not apply as the OP asked because it's not a dwelling even though it's on a dwelling premise.

I was not being serious when I posted.
But the logic isn't always that clear cut.
I just inspected what the utility calls a re,-meter inspection before they will energized an existing service. It's a 200 amp pole service 2017 nec . It is now associated with a single family dwelling premise.

A mobile home was removed and now he has parked an RV by that pole. 200 amp service supplying one 30 amp single pole and one 30 amp RV receptacle.
Say it was under 2020 nec emergency disconnect or not, gfci protection for the rec or not. Just not always that clear cut.

The pole service is for the dwelling premise but not for the dwelling, the rec is on the dwelling premise but not from the dwelling service