emergency area lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickeyrench

I have a class 1 div 1 & 2 areas that needs e-mergency lights. can i remove the two heads from a standard 90 min. emergency light pack and put the two
6 volt heads in the class 1 area and install the charging pack in a non haszard
area?

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
What's it say on the lights? Dollars to do-nuts, no chance that they are rated.

nakulak

either

a) you need to provide some sort of engineering data saying that they are non-incendiary or

b) you need to find something in article 500 that says that this is allowed.

My belief is that you need a class 1 div 1 fixture (?)

I know the c1d1 emergency lights are expensive, but that's all I've used in those areas.

KentAT

Not not cheaper than the C-H I've suggested, which has CF in it that will lasts longer than the incandescent in the above units.

They are different designs, which also affects the costs, and the OP would have to select which best fits their needs.

The C-H DMVFB is only rated Div 2, so the EVLPFB would be the choice of the two C-H for the Div 1 areas.

The major difference between the C-H fixtures referenced and the Killark one I listed, besides the CFL bulbs, is that those C-H fixtures are designed to be continuously lit until a power failure, during which only one of the two CFL lamps inside remains on at reduced intensity. In this sense, they could be used for double duty, possibly eliminating the need for 2 separate fixtures. One downside, however, is the minimum 32 deg F ambient requirement. Besides the cost of the fixture, you must also purchase a test button/switch assembly (although it may be able to be in a non-hazardous location..)

The Killark ones are only lit when the power fails, and do not have a minimum ambient temp of 32 deg F, although I can't identify the lower temp rating of them. A test switch is included with the fixture. Another plus is that the halogen lamps are aimable for some lighting flexibility.

Kent

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.