Emergency ballasts for flourecent fixtures

Status
Not open for further replies.

redfish

Good evening Gentlemen, today an electrician on a near by government facility called me. Here is his problem, every month he is required to test the emergency lighting in a certain building.When he pushes the test button on a number of the emergency fixtures, they test ok, but when he releases the button they go off completely. He has to remove, and then re- install a bulb in order for them to come back on. I'm going to make a trip out there tomorrow and I will bring some emer. ballast with me, but I'm open for ideas. The fixtures are 120v on a 120/ 208 three phase system. The neutrals are phased and balanced and the fixtures are grounded. :confused:
meeting.gif
What, no meeting of the minds for this one?

[ August 15, 2005, 10:44 PM: Message edited by: redfish ]

JES2727

Re: Emergency ballasts for flourecent fixtures

I have encountered this problem once or twice. I figured it was just a faulty relay in the unit, not resetting after the button is released. I just replaced the unit and moved on to the next one.

John

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

This has happened to me also,wait it out,it will come back on.
I would say that is unnacceptable for an emergency lighting unit, and a code violation.

If the area was lit with HID lights, the emergency fixtures would be required to stay on until the HID's restrike. I don't see any difference here.

Steve

redfish

I would say that is unnacceptable for an emergency lighting unit, and a code violation.

If the area was lit with HID lights, the emergency fixtures would be required to stay on until the HID's restrike. I don't see any difference here.

Steve
</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Lighten up Steve,you sound like our QC rep. :) The fixtures do work on emergency test mode, it is only when they return to normal power that they fail to restart. Let me try to explain with a little more detail. Each room (400 square feet) has eight lay-in fixtures, one of which has an emergency ballast. Under normal power when the emergency ballast is tested, it works as it should, but when the test button is released, all of the bulbs go out and will not come back on until one of the bulbs is removed, and then replaced. The entire building is wired up to an emergency generator, these emergency ballast are installed as an added precaution. If the building loses utility, the generator will rotate in and power it back up 100%. Read the original post for added detail. I didn't make it out there today, but I'll post what I find out.</font>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
dance.gif

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

Sorry, didn't mean to come off sounding so ...uh.... QC rep like :) But I don't see any reason why they should go off when the test button is released. Kind of sounds like they are on their last leg. I would feel a lot better if the problem was found and fixed. After all, isn't that the reason for regular testing?

Steve

redfish

I would feel a lot better if the problem was found and fixed. After all, isn't that the reason for regular testing?
Rest assured steve66, the problem is going to be fixed, as soon as it is I'll let you know so you can ...uh... feel better. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.