EMERGENCY BATTERY POWER LIGHTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDW

IS THERE A REQUIREMENT FOR EMERGENCY BATTERY POWER LIGHTING TO THE FOLLOWING:
SURGERY O.R.'s WHICH USE NON-FLAMABLE GAS,
HEART CATH ROOMS AND SPECIAL PROCEDURE ROOMS ?
I'VE BEEN TOLD THAT NFPA 99 SECTION 4.4.2.2.2.3(1) AND NFPA 99 SECTION 13.4.1.2.6.1(E)
AND NFPA 70,SECTION 700.12(E)REQUIRES.
NEC 700.12(E)TALKS ABOUT FUEL CELL SYSTEMS.
WE HAVE EMERGENCY POWERED GENERATOR PROVIDING POWER TO THESE AREAS NOW. AFTER 10 SECONDS THE AREAS WILL HAVE EMERGENCY POWER AND LIGHTS.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: EMERGENCY BATTERY POWER LIGHTS

Let me try to say it in a "nicer" way: Please turn off the ALL CAPS feature. It makes the post more difficult to read. It is also considered impolite, as though you were SHOUTING at us.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

You never have to use a battery system, and you don't have to use the fuel system described in 700.12(E). Look at the first sentence of 700.12. You can use any of the systems described in subparagraphs (A) through (F). One of these is a complete battery system. Another is "Unit Equipment," which is a battery for each light fixture. A diesel generator can be used, provided it meets the other requirements.

ryan_618

I attended a seminar given by a gentlemen named Burton Klein, who was staff liason for the NFPA 99. I was thinking that this issue came up, and that an O.R. was in fact required to use unit equipment. I may be mistaken on this, but I think it is required.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

I think if you search NFPA 99, you will find that battery powered equipment is required. (Even if it's not in NFPA 99, the Illinois Dept. of Public Health requires it in Illinois).

I think they feel the 10 sec delay is too long for an OR. Or they might be looking for a backup for the backup generator.

Steve

rick hart

The requirements for battery lights that are supplied by Level 1 generator (that 10 second thing) are only required for the generator room and generator control equipment.
OR, stairwells, ER, Cardiac Cath and any other place are not required by code but, may be required by the facility if they determine they are part of the critical equipment inventory checked by JCAHO (not yelling here). JCAHO does not really care what is on the inventory other than the generator rooms UNLESS (see how this cap thing works?)it is identified as critical by hospital policy.Then it is and all records must be kept.

It's a good question to ask though. There are a lot of places that have battery lights that the facility installs as a convenience to ride through the changeover time. The kicker is the routine testing required for the identified critical lights.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

A battery powered light is required. I didn't even have to pull out NFPA 99 or the IDPH code. See 517.l63 of the 2002 NEC code ;)

Steve

[ August 19, 2005, 09:12 AM: Message edited by: steve66 ]

rick hart

I take that back about the generator room only. To make matters worse, I even had 517.63 highlighted.

note to self- verify before speaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.