emergency Diesel-Generator Grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

BFF

hi
i have problem about grounding and protection of an ungrounded Diesel-Generator as a standby power supply in power plant. please guide me

iwire

Staff member
Is it really 'ungrounded' and if so why?

If it is supposed to be grounded everything you need to know can be found by starting at 250.30

Bob Rutemiller

Generator Grounding -

Generator Grounding -

The generator frame only should be grounded and it probably is already if it is bolted to a concrete slab with re-bar. However, in order to do the electrical grounding, you must take a look at the transfer switch. If the neutral is solid and does NOT open at the transfer switch then DO NOT GROUND THE NEUTRAL at the generator. The grounding for the generator is already in place from the main electrical service. DO NOT install any bonding jumpers from the neutral in the transfer switch either! It is not necessary to perform any further grounding.

However, if the neutral is switched in the transfer switch, then it is necessary to bond the neutral to the ground at the generator and also bond to a grounding electrode.

Regards,

Bob Rutemiller

BFF

thanks for your reply

inorder for more clarification i must say that we have a double infeed electrical panel and our contractor bought an ungrounded D/G.
i want to know if we connect an ungrounded D/G to our panel that hasTN-S system , how can i protect our D/G from earth fault?

best regards
faghihi

Status
Not open for further replies.