Emergency Disconnnect 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkgrady

I'm upgrading an existing service for a residence from 100 to 200 amps. I'm looking to see that I understand the 2020 code on this.

I am using a combination meter socket/main breaker. I believe I can make this the main service disconnect or I can use the main breaker in the load center as the service disconnect. The difference being that in the former I can run three conductors to the load center and the latter I must run four conductors and treat it like a sub-panel. The only other difference would be where the GECs terminate. Do I have this right?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The code permits you to do it either way. If the meter main is not the service disconnect you mark it:
EMERGENCY DISCONNECT,
NOT SERVICE EQUIPMENT

It appears that the CMP thinks the electrons read and understand the code, because electrically and functionally the device at the meter is the service disconnect no matter what the label says :)

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
The code permits you to do it either way. If the meter main is not the service disconnect you mark it:
EMERGENCY DISCONNECT,
NOT SERVICE EQUIPMENT

It appears that the CMP thinks the electrons read and understand the code, because electrically and functionally the device at the meter is the service disconnect no matter what the label says :)
I don't think they thought this through very well. This is going to confuse a lot of folks in the field. For example, what if the meter/main has space for branch breakers? Then you don't have the option of treating it as anything but the service disconnect and need an EGC to the panel in the house.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
EMERGENCY DISCONNECT,
NOT SERVICE EQUIPMENT

This change really made me think about all the hand wringing we‘ve done in the past when there is that extra disconnect on the POCO pole. For sure we‘re all going to die and the dog will have kittens.

Not in Nebraska, we ignored it and neither happened

shortcircuit2

EMERGENCY DISCONNECT,
NOT SERVICE EQUIPMENT

If the meter main is "Listed" and "Labeled" as Suitable ONLY for use as service equipment...how can you label it "Not Service Equipment"?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Does UL list them that way? "Only".
Yes, a panelboard can be listed as Suitable Only for Use as Service Equipment if it does not have separate ground and neutral terminal bars. In some cases it can be converted for non service use by the addition of a manufacturer supplied insulated terminal bar intended for that panel.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
If the meter main is "Listed" and "Labeled" as Suitable ONLY for use as service equipment...how can you label it "Not Service Equipment"?
I really don't see that having any effect on the new rule. The only reason it is listed that way is because the neutral is factory bonded to the enclosure....even where the disconnect is just the "emergency disconnect" there still has to be a neutral to enclosure bond. Since it is on the line side of the "service disconnect" you are permitted to use the neutral to bond the enclosure.

shortcircuit2

I really don't see that having any effect on the new rule. The only reason it is listed that way is because the neutral is factory bonded to the enclosure....even where the disconnect is just the "emergency disconnect" there still has to be a neutral to enclosure bond. Since it is on the line side of the "service disconnect" you are permitted to use the neutral to bond the enclosure.
Yes I see no safety issue. Only a 110.3(B) issue for not using equipment according to its Listing and Labeling.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
But the listing is for service disconnect and this is an emergency disconnect. as its marked not service disconnect.
I under stand the intent of the rule, this is perhaps the most confusing 2020 change

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Yes I see no safety issue. Only a 110.3(B) issue for not using equipment according to its Listing and Labeling.
I would never red tag based on that, because even though we are calling it "emergency disconnect" it is still a "service disconnect". The electrons can't read so they don't know

shortcircuit2

Below are 2 Milbank Meter/Main Breaker pieces of equipment that listed and labeled "Suitable ONLY for Use as Service Equipment"

Here is the 1st one (example) the OP was asking about...

Here is the 2nd one...

If the 1st one can be labeled according to 230.85(3) "EMERGENCY DISCONNECT" - "NOT SERVICE EQUIPMENT" and run 3-wire SE into a main breaker panel, then would it also be allowed to label the 2nd one the same way, send 3-wire into a main breaker panel and also wire branch circuits from the additional 8-spaces in the U5898 meter/main?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Below are 2 Milbank Meter/Main Breaker pieces of equipment that listed and labeled "Suitable ONLY for Use as Service Equipment"

Here is the 1st one (example) the OP was asking about...

Here is the 2nd one...

If the 1st one can be labeled according to 230.85(3) "EMERGENCY DISCONNECT" - "NOT SERVICE EQUIPMENT" and run 3-wire SE into a main breaker panel, then would it also be allowed to label the 2nd one the same way, send 3-wire into a main breaker panel and also wire branch circuits from the additional 8-spaces in the U5898 meter/main?
The second one cannot be a non-service "emergency disconnect" as it has branch breakers in it. That one can only be a "service disconnect".

Status
Not open for further replies.