Emergency/egress lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter d

I'm looking for the uniform code that covers emergency and egress requirements. I'm specifically looking for the code that requires an emergency light over an exterior egress door but on the outside of the door, obviously connected to a backup source.

Buck Parrish

EC&M had an article on it a while back. The NFPA, UBC and the IBC have had some conflicting verbiage on egress lighting requirements

IMFOTP

as dkidd said, 1006.3 (IBC) is a good place to start.

From the IBC 2012 Code commentary...

"Exterior portions of the exit discharge that is immediately adjacent to the building exit discharge door is required to have emergency illumination and not the entire exterior discharge path to the public way."

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
As far as I understand, the real answer lies with the State you are referring to. Unlike the NEC, which is adopted by all 50 states, Life Safety is usually either NFPA 101 or the IBC. These are then likely modified or even rewritten directly in the State code. So, you have to find out what Life Safety Code your State adopts and refer to it.

IMFOTP

As far as I understand, the real answer lies with the State you are referring to. Unlike the NEC, which is adopted by all 50 states, Life Safety is usually either NFPA 101 or the IBC. These are then likely modified or even rewritten directly in the State code.

This is very true. States may have different guidelines, so check there first. Mine refers back to the IBC. This might help https://codes.iccsafe.org/public/

Status
Not open for further replies.