Emergency Exit light inspections

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnelectrical

Does anyone does inspection /certification of exit emergency lights with back up batteries? Any special procedures to test the batteries? Any special form to filled for the customer?

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Does anyone does inspection /certification of exit emergency lights with back up batteries? Any special procedures to test the batteries? Any special form to filled for the customer?

My area the fire marshal checks them. To test battery just turn off breaker or push test button. I assume they leave some sort of acceptance paperwork.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
You're supposed to do a 90-minute test at least once per year, not just tap the test button on the unit. Some models will do the various tests for you.

gadfly56

Occupation
He didn't say "tap". The monthly test is only 30 seconds.

If the fire marshal is doing the test, it's likely going to be on a "run and gun" basis. He's got a lot of ground to cover. Spend a little extra money and let the unit do it for you. You can also get units where tapping the test button multiple times will engage the different test intervals. I have also seen at least one model that you can activate the test mode with a laser pointer.

luckylerado

Here is what NFPA 101 says if applicable:

7.9.3 Periodic Testing of Emergency Lighting Equipment.

7.9.3.1 Required emergency lighting systems shall be tested in
accordance with one of the three options offered by 7.9.3.1.1,
7.9.3.1.2, or 7.9.3.1.3.
7.9.3.1.1 Testing of required emergency lighting systems
shall be permitted to be conducted as follows:
(1) Functional testing shall be conducted monthly, with a
minimum of 3 weeks and a maximum of 5 weeks between
tests, for not less than 30 seconds, except as otherwise
permitted by 7.9.3.1.1(2).
(2)*The test interval shall be permitted to be extended beyond 30 days with the approval of the authority having jurisdiction.
(3) Functional testing shall be conducted annually for a minimum of 1 1⁄2 hours if the emergency lighting system is battery powered.
(4) The emergency lighting equipment shall be fully operational for the duration of the tests required by 7.9.3.1.1(1)and (3).
(5) Written records of visual inspections and tests shall be kept by the owner for inspection by the authority having jurisdiction.

The other 2 options are similar, one requires self testing systems and the other requires computer based testing.

JFletcher

My area the fire marshal checks them. To test battery just turn off breaker or push test button. I assume they leave some sort of acceptance paperwork.

Same here; perhaps it is state wide. I wanna say the fine is $500 per bad fixture. Actually kinda surprised the fire marshalls dont write these up all the time, given the safety aspect, how much they could make on fines, and how easy it is for a business to comply.

Last job where I changed out signs, there were 8 or 9 "bad" ones. Come to find out the original installer, who put them in years ago, never removed the plastic shipping insert on the batteries, so they never worked. After making a comment about what a sloppy job that was, I also found the original installer was the company I was working for. Oops.

I would think any place with its own maintenance would check exit signs and e-lights monthly; I know we did when I worked hotel maintenance.

Could the yearly testing be done with an unplanned power outage? I know you wouldnt plan it that way, but if you lose power, may as well, right?

gadfly56

Occupation
Same here; perhaps it is state wide. I wanna say the fine is $500 per bad fixture. Actually kinda surprised the fire marshalls dont write these up all the time, given the safety aspect, how much they could make on fines, and how easy it is for a business to comply.

Last job where I changed out signs, there were 8 or 9 "bad" ones. Come to find out the original installer, who put them in years ago, never removed the plastic shipping insert on the batteries, so they never worked. After making a comment about what a sloppy job that was, I also found the original installer was the company I was working for. Oops.

I would think any place with its own maintenance would check exit signs and e-lights monthly; I know we did when I worked hotel maintenance.

Could the yearly testing be done with an unplanned power outage? I know you wouldnt plan it that way, but if you lose power, may as well, right?

As long as it lasts at least 90 minutes and someone is walking around at the end to verify each light/exit sign is still glowing.

kwired

Electron manager
That is the time I get the most requests to repair them - they failed when needed, usually just need batteries and get called a few years later when they fail happen to fail when needed again.

Status
Not open for further replies.