Emergency generator question

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have one feeder shown sketch below that feeds emergency ATS #2 and legally required ATS #1. The feeders get tapped one feeds ATS#1 and another tap feeds ATS#2. The question that I have is do I need two separate generator main breakers one feeding ATS#1 and another feeding ATS#2 or just one main breaker feeding both ARS with tap as shown would comply with NEC 2017 Article 700.3(F)?

9c61f193c11231d344015093c6f05b78.jpg

JARSuites

Occupation
EE
NEC 700.3(F) is: Temporary Source of Power for Maintenance or Repair of the Alternate Source of Power.

Meaning when the generator is in maintenance or service a temporary source(temp generator) is provided incase the main generator is down. Especially because this is a legally required standby system. a standby source is required 24/7 even if the main generator is down.

If you look at the following page it illustrates how a 700.3(F) system is setup. In your current setup, no switching means and interlocking means is seen for a temporary/portable generator.

Then you would look at 700.10 to understanding your disconnecting means which also includes illustrations on how to set that up.

Hope that helps.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
NEC 700.3(F) is: Temporary Source of Power for Maintenance or Repair of the Alternate Source of Power.

Meaning when the generator is in maintenance or service a temporary source(temp generator) is provided incase the main generator is down. Especially because this is a legally required standby system. a standby source is required 24/7 even if the main generator is down.

If you look at the following page it illustrates how a 700.3(F) system is setup. In your current setup, no switching means and interlocking means is seen for a temporary/portable generator.

Then you would look at 700.10 to understanding your disconnecting means which also includes illustrations on how to set that up.

Hope that helps.

Question has nothing to do with 700.3(F)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk