Emergency Generator ? separately derived with 4 pole transfer switches

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the normal system ?
The neutral and ground are bonded at the ?3000A - MSB?, at the1st over current protection device
On the emergency system ?
800 KW generator with a 1200A breaker feeding an
emergency distribution panel ?EMDP.? The panel then feeds multiple 4 pole
transfer switches. The emergency generatoris treated as separately derived system. The 1
st over current devices would be the breakers in the ?EMDP.?

My question is do I bond the neutral and ground -
1. At the generator?
2. At the EMDP panel?
3. Both?

See attached Diagram-
View attachment Transfer Switch3.pdf

Smart $

Esteemed Member
On the normal system ?
The neutral and ground are bonded at the ?3000A - MSB?, at the1st over current protection device
On the emergency system ?
800 KW generator with a 1200A breaker feeding an
emergency distribution panel ?EMDP.? The panel then feeds multiple 4 pole
transfer switches. The emergency generatoris treated as separately derived system. The 1
st over current devices would be the breakers in the ?EMDP.?

My question is do I bond the neutral and ground -
1. At the generator?
2. At the EMDP panel?
3. Both?

See attached Diagram-
View attachment 8063
Your diagram shows N-G bonding at both the generator and the EMDP. Can't be both!!!

If there is no overcurrent device at the generator, as depicted, I recommend removing the N-G bond at the generator. Every thing else, though not scrutinized, appears okay.

ceb58

Your diagram shows N-G bonding at both the generator and the EMDP. Can't be both!!!

If there is no overcurrent device at the generator, as depicted, I recommend removing the N-G bond at the generator. Every thing else, though not scrutinized, appears okay.
That would be my question also. Dose the generator have a built in OCD? If not then you need to look at 445.13 too.

harsha1972

Why is the generator connected to ATS via EMDP? EMDP should be on the ATS common terminal while the generator is directly connected to ATS's emergency terminal.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Why is the generator connected to ATS via EMDP? EMDP should be on the ATS common terminal while the generator is directly connected to ATS's emergency terminal.
I believe the diagram only depicts one representative ATS, and there are several actual ATS's.

Revised

Revised

To answer a few of the questions posted -

1. There are a total of 4 transfer switches.
2. 1200A/3P breaker at generator

The neutral/ground bond would be at the generator only.

See revised sketch.

Attachments

• TransferSwitch.pdf
    105 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.