Emergency light exit sign combo separation of loads

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has always been a grey area,
Here in Washington state our energy code states that exit signs have a limit for maximum wattage,
In some buildings I have put in combo fixtures (battery light /exit sign) the question I have is how do you go about separating the loads so that you know exactly what draws what? the state doesn't usually bring it up but if they did how could you positively say what actual
loads were? Product cut sheets do not separate the loads (at least any that I have seen)
Any and all in put is always much appreciated!:happyyes:

TimK

This has always been a grey area,
Here in Washington state our energy code states that exit signs have a limit for maximum wattage,
In some buildings I have put in combo fixtures (battery light /exit sign) the question I have is how do you go about separating the loads so that you know exactly what draws what? the state doesn't usually bring it up but if they did how could you positively say what actual
loads were? Product cut sheets do not separate the loads (at least any that I have seen)
Any and all in put is always much appreciated!:happyyes:

Have you tried online investigation? Alot of the time you can call up brand name, website, then product, look into the cut sheets, they give much better information than what shows up with the product.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
The exit sign part of a combo uinit would draw the same current as the same exit sign without the combo light.

For example, consider a Lithonia Quantum Combo unit: the exit sign would draw the same amount of current as a Lithonia Quantum exit sign without the combo lights.

I think any LED exit sign is going to be below the limit, and an inspector would be crazy to not buy the above argument.

I have tried some online investigation, however the cut sheets for the type we use does not specify the input wattage just the voltage and hz. (I have put in a req. to the mfr.)
I don't doubt that a led exit sign is less than 5 watts, however proving that to a plan reviewer is a totally different animal.
The WSEC is very specific as far as the input wattage being less than 5 watts, since the manufacturer's documentation does not provide
this proof, I am merely wondering if there is a mathematical way to prove it. :happyyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.