Emergency light wiring

alegmeyer

Occupation
Electrician
Hi,
We are installing 10 emergency Daybrite light fixtures in a warehouse, model is DCOFSS440L840UNVDIM,
they have a black wire with 2 tags on it, labeled “120v unswitched” hot and “277v unswitched”, Im assuming this fixtures are auto volt.
and they have a second white, red-stripped wire with a tag saying “switched/unswitched”
My question is should I splice both wire to my unswitched hot coming from the panel, or only splice the black wire and put a wirenut on the white red stripped wire??
Thanks
Alex

Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Power and Controls
Fixture is 120-277v capable. the un-switched wire is to tie to a constant power source or battery backup before switching means. The switched wire is to be tied in after a switch. The un-switched is what provides the constant or backup power to the light. Do you need emergency back up capability? do you have an emergency backup power circuit or battery backup system? If you don't have emergency backup or only want this used as a switched light and ignore the backup or un-switched wire then do not use it and only use the switched wire and neutral wire. Others please critique my response if needed.

alegmeyer

Occupation
Electrician
You answer is correct, but the problem with this fixtures is that they come with 2 unswitched wires( one black tagged “unswitched hot 120/277” and one white with red stripes, tagged “switched/unswitched hot) beside the neutral, ground and switched black.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
The unswitched lead should tie directly to your circuit, as the name indicates. The switched/unswitched should tie to your switch let if there is a switch. If this is used as a night light, tie both leads to your circuit if the same circuit serves both. If you have a night light circuit and emergency circuit, tie emergency circuit to the unswitched and night light circuit to switched/unswitched.