Emergency lighting and illumination at panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjmike

This is a 2 part question using a panelboard installed in a conference room as an example. Per the 2015 IBC 1008.3.3.1, there is a requirement to have emergency lighting in "Electrical equipment rooms" however, no definition is provided for "electrical equipment rooms". Would the conference room need emergency lighting? I am think no as I would consider an "electrical equipment room" as a space that is dedicated to electrical equipment; possibly the room name referring to electrical.

Next, 2014 NEC 110.26(D) denotes no automatic lighting control unless there is an override for the workspace. If the conference room is controlled by occupancy sensors that don't have an override, would only the light fixture in the 3' dedicated working space require the override or no sensor at all?

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
This is a 2 part question using a panelboard installed in a conference room as an example. Per the 2015 IBC 1008.3.3.1, there is a requirement to have emergency lighting in "Electrical equipment rooms" however, no definition is provided for "electrical equipment rooms". Would the conference room need emergency lighting? I am think no as I would consider an "electrical equipment room" as a space that is dedicated to electrical equipment; possibly the room name referring to electrical.

Next, 2014 NEC 110.26(D) denotes no automatic lighting control unless there is an override for the workspace. If the conference room is controlled by occupancy sensors that don't have an override, would only the light fixture in the 3' dedicated working space require the override or no sensor at all?

I could see this going either way. The first part. It is a room it has electrical equipment in it. I would consider this an electrical equipment room. Certainly "dedicated" doesn't come in to any version of the argument. You could have an AHJ that allows it to be otherwise. You don't have an emergency light at the panel in a house, for example. I just wouldn't take up the argument with an inspector.

second item, illumination adequate to work on or in the panel would be the requirement here, not the entire space, in my opinion.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I've always wondered why this is. I'm not opposed to having a manual override for an occ. sensor in one of these spaces, but why is it required?

All you need to do is be in the back corner away from the door behind a bunch of equipment with sharp pokey-bits all about and suddenly find yourself in the dark. Without a flashlight. And the cell phone is in your tool box, which is by the entrance. The wisdom of that rule will become jarringly manifest.

Kansas Mountain

Occupation
Lighting and Lighting Control Designs
Thanks. I was only thinking about the situations I commonly deal with (electric closets in K-12 schools that have nowhere to hide). Makes a lot more sense now when considering larger equipment rooms like you're describing.

Status
Not open for further replies.