Emergency Lighting on its own Life Safety Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobuTupaki

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Does emergency lighting (egress, exit signs, etc) need to be on its own life safety panel, independent of any emergency panels? or can I use an existing emergency panel and feed new egress lighting to that panel?

d0nut

You need to be very careful with your terminology when you are talking about generator branch requirements. Each branch has unique requirements and limitations, so everyone has to understand what you are actually asking to properly answer your question.

When you say you have emergency panels, are those actual Article 700 system panels or are you using that as a catch-all for generator power? The life safety branch is a healthcare specific branch of the essential electrical system. Is the facility a healthcare facility?

The short answer is that the NEC defines what loads are permitted on each branch. If your load is permitted on that branch, you can put it on that branch. Providing a little more detail about your exact scenario would allow us to provide a better answer.

jobuTupaki

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I need to implement an emergency system that provides emergency lighting for a medical office space. There is an existing emergency panel located 2 floors below (no info, just that there is a emergency panel, until I get out to the site). I need to backup some of the lighting either via the existing emergency panel that is backed up from the generator, or use emergency battery units throughout the space. (Even if I use EBUs, I still want to know how to design using the first method)

I didn't mention life safety branch, I meant general life safety protection throughout a building, I don't think this is EES specific.

It seems emergency illumination is required by both the emergency system and standby systems in the Codebook, so I was looking for further insight. It is very confusing, so sorry if my terminology is confusing.

Thanks

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Is there an article 700 emergency generator? I think so as you mention life safety branch
Bug eye lights are inexpensive and can be put on any unswitched ltg ckt
If you install emergency ckts for lighting that wiring must be kept entirely separate from non emergency wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.