Emergency Lighting Test Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Electrical/Lighting Engineer
I have linear lights, really long, say 40', mounted 40+ feet in the air. These lights have three sections of emergency lighting, on three batteries. The fixture is on a single circuit. I dont want the battery test switch on the fixture, what a pain to test! I want a remote switch mounted at the wall where it can be accessed by a ladder. I would like a single switch able to test the entire run. Not three switches, one for each battery. I see nothing in the code preventing this. Is this acceptable?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
What is acceptable versus what is practical will depend on the exact construction of the "normal" test switch.

If the fixtures have both switched normal power and an always hot input used to sense the difference between turning the lights off and an actual power failure, can you easily interrupt the constant power to command the emergency light on?

Other than that, wiring one remote test switch for all three units may not be practical nor code acceptable. The operation of the test switch is probably part of the listing of the fixtures.

Occupation
The lights are switched so the there will be a constant power leg for sensing and a switched leg for control. The emergency test switch would turn off the constant. You turn off the constant, it thinks power is lost, and the three batteries turn on. Is there a code reason why thats not allowed?

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Shouldn’t be a problem. Actually would be better than the factory test switch because the battery capacity can be tested to ensure they stay illuminated for the required 90 minutes.

Occupation
Shouldn’t be a problem. Actually would be better than the factory test switch because the battery capacity can be tested to ensure they stay illuminated for the required 90 minutes.
Exactly. That and you wont need a lift to test the fixture.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The only issue I have is not a functional one but a regulatory one:
Is the periodic testing requirement satisfied by this or does the mandate require the use of the factory test switch?
I do not know the exact language involved.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Fixtures are available that run the whole gamut of tests automatically. Also, some that you test pinging them with a laser pointer.

d0nut

I have linear lights, really long, say 40', mounted 40+ feet in the air. These lights have three sections of emergency lighting, on three batteries. The fixture is on a single circuit. I dont want the battery test switch on the fixture, what a pain to test!
The batteries will still require maintenance that will also be a pain to perform. I would strongly consider a lighting inverter to move the battery testing and maintenance down to a level that is easier to maintain.

Occupation
The batteries will still require maintenance that will also be a pain to perform. I would strongly consider a lighting inverter to move the battery testing and maintenance down to a level that is easier to maintain.
This is something I will need to always consider. This has already been specified and shops round 1 pushed through. The batteries do last 4 years, and fixtures should be wiped periodically to keep the lumen depreciation down. When batteries are replaced would also be a good time to wipe lenses. So I dont feel totally bad.

Occupation
What happens if the end user accidentally leaves the test switch in the OFF position?
If the constant power is off, as the test switch would be doing, then the fixture would run on battery. Eventually that battery would die with its charge circuit cutoff. So somebody would notice those sections of light off. And hopefully figure out its the test switch. But certainly I think it will be good to train the owners to make sure there is a procedure check list for testing that includes turning remote switches back on.

Occupation
The only issue I have is not a functional one but a regulatory one:
Is the periodic testing requirement satisfied by this or does the mandate require the use of the factory test switch?
I do not know the exact language involved.
I dont either. I know factories have options for remote test switches. Thats basically all this is. I have noted on the shops that the manufacturer needs to provide the fixture so that this is exactly what happens. So the contractor just needs to extend wiring to the switch locations I have indicated and connect to the whips already on the fixture.

Status
Not open for further replies.