Emergency Lighting Units in New York City

jrohe

Occupation
Professional Engineer
I am hoping that someone from the New York City area can help me out. I am aware that several manufacturers produce "NYC-approved" emergency lighting units (bugeyes). Apparently, these are manufactured from 20 gauge sheet metal.

I am trying to find documentation (code, local law, etc.) that requires these types of units. I have scoured Chapter 10 of the 2022 NYC Building Code (NYCBC) and searched local laws and cannot find any specific requirements for the construction of the emergency lighting units. Could this be a remnant from when NYC required MEA numbers?

I guess what I am really asking is does anyone know the code/law basis for "NYC-approved" emergency lighting units and whether thermoplastic emergency lighting units are truly prohibited?

Thank you in advance for insights!

Jason Rohe, P.E.

tthh

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Found this on the net....it seems authoritative, but I am not saying I know it is...

There is a section called "Materials for Signs".

jrohe

Occupation
Professional Engineer
Found this on the net....it seems authoritative, but I am not saying I know it is...

There is a section called "Materials for Signs".

Thank you. However, this local law deals with exit signs. My question is in regards to emergency lighting units (bugeyes).

ron

Thank you. However, this local law deals with exit signs. My question is in regards to emergency lighting units (bugeyes).
There is no such requirement for means of egress illumination NYC Building Code Section BC 1008. In NYC, I often use integral battery ballasts in standard fixtures to achieve this requirement, with a similar function as the "bugeyes". These are not metal.

For information, the exit sign material language is still similar to the local law, in 1031.12 Materials for signs. Signs required by this section shall be of metal or other durable material. This doesn't necessarily mean it has to be metal, just durable material, which makes it somewhat grey.