Emergency lighting

slc410

Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
I'm wiring some emergency fixtures in the back storage area of a grocery store. The normal strip fixtures have integrated emergency battery back up to illuminate the area in case of power failure. My question is for the exit lights which are exit only (not combo units) do they need to be on the same local lighting circuit as the strip fixtures? I don't see why they'd have to be on the same circuit since the emergency strip fixtures will illuminate the area if power is turned off to the strip fixture circuit. Code article?

ron

Most consider exit signs to be "unit equipment" per 700.12(I)(2)(3) (2020)
The branch circuit feeding the unit equipment shall be one of the following:
a. The same branch circuit as that serving the normal lighting in the area and connected ahead of any local switches
b. Where the normal lighting circuit is served by one or more branch circuits, a separate branch circuit, provided with a lock-on feature, that originates from the same panelboard as the normal lighting circuits. The branch circuit disconnecting means for this branch circuit shall be provided with a lock-on feature.
(4) The branch circuit that feeds unit equipment shall be clearly identified at the distribution panel.
(5) Emergency luminaires that obtain power from a unit equipment and are not part of the unit equipment shall be wired to the unit equipment as required by 700.10 and by one of the wiring methods of
Chapter 3.
(6) Remote heads providing lighting for the exterior of an exit door shall be permitted to be supplied by the unit equipment serving the area immediately inside the exit door.