Emergency lights made with factory whips with both emergency and normal wires.

Twiz

Occupation
Electrician
I’m writing this in the matter of emergency lighting. The emergency lighting fixtures came with normal power wiring and emergency wiring in the same lighting whip. I installed these on the third level of an office building. I connected these whips to an emergency box and set a normal putter box next to it with a piece of m.c. in between. I made sure to label the normal power wires in the box connected to normal power wiring in the fixture whip that also has the labeled emergency wires in the whip as well. The emergency wires in the whip are red(connects to neutral) and blue(connects to hot) that run with the normal wires in the whip. My Forman said this is wrong and made us separate the wires and add another m.c. to the fixture which is taking way longer. We argued about it and I said if this is wrong what I have been doing why would the fixtures come made like this. Either way you go your going to have emergency and normal occupying the same space somewhere. I sighted 700.10b3. What would be the best move here. It’s almost the same as wiring am emergency lighting esrn.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
If the fixtures are listed and labeled as Emergency fixtures you would not need to do anything as far as adding whips or anything else to the factory assembly.

Twiz

Occupation
Electrician
If the fixtures are listed and labeled as Emergency fixtures you would not need to do anything as far as adding whips or anything else to the factory assembly.
So it’s ok to leave the factory assembled whips with both emergency and normal wiring running through them and attach them to an emergency box and have normal connect to it as I did and make all your connections?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
So it’s ok to leave the factory assembled whips with both emergency and normal wiring running through them and attach them to an emergency box and have normal connect to it as I did and make all your connections?
The more I think about it I'm not sure. Getting the wiring to the whip could be a problem as your Foreman says. Are these fixtures listed by a NRTL? Having a red for a neutral makes me question if they are from a foreign manufacturer.

Twiz

Occupation
Electrician
The more I think about it I'm not sure. Getting the wiring to the whip could be a problem as your Foreman says. Are these fixtures listed by a NRTL? Having a red for a neutral makes me question if they are from a foreign manufacturer.
Nope their from cooper lighting