Emergency Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmsbrush

I have a small restaurant that I'm bidding and theres a note on there that says add emergency lights per code. Besides the exits and bathrooms. How many and where to install to make the fire marshals happy?

nakulak

if they didn't specify in the plans they are jerks. personally I would just put in my bid that I included 5 battery packs, anything else extra. There will be an extra.

jmsbrush

nakulak said:
if they didn't specify in the plans they are jerks. personally I would just put in my bid that I included 5 battery packs, anything else extra. There will be an extra.
It seems that allot of jobs I bid are always missing something. I'm always having to do load calculations and checking to see if this or that is right! Maybe its just because I'm doing smaller jobs now as a contractor versus when I was working for someone ,I was doing big jobs. Oh well It's good experience.

ceb58

jmsbrush said:
I have a small restaurant that I'm bidding and theres a note on there that says add emergency lights per code. Besides the exits and bathrooms. How many and where to install to make the fire marshals happy?

Ask the fire marshals. Usually you need them in rooms to light egress exits. Just imagine your self in this building if the lights went out. What would you need to see to get out?

satcom

jmsbrush said:

Placement of life safety equipment is critical, when someones life is at stake the placement had better be correct, and don't forget to ceck your insurance policy, to be sure your covered for installation of life safety equipment, most insurers require E&O coverage.

mdshunk

In my state, the prints wouldn't have made it through plan review without the emergency lighting being on the prints. Are these approved prints you're dealing with? Seems like lately many restaurants are putting all the batteries in the electrical room and just putting the remote heads around. That burns up a bunch of wire.

jmsbrush

mdshunk said:
In my state, the prints wouldn't have made it through plan review without the emergency lighting being on the prints. Are these approved prints you're dealing with? Seems like lately many restaurants are putting all the batteries in the electrical room and just putting the remote heads around. That burns up a bunch of wire.
The prints are on- line

Ragin Cajun

I am on the design end. Not having exit and emergency lighting on the drawings is inexcusible! It's not up to the electrician to do that. It's my job to do the design. The electrician's job to install the design. My hat is off to them.

Such would not make it past code review!

RC

Weaver Road

AHJ's Opinion

AHJ's Opinion

I am with all the posts that indicate it should be in the design. I would not approve plans without it clearly indicated.

A couple ideas I have to offer to get you thinking the right way. Where i am, any spaces big enough to be considered assembly (ie: 50 or more people) will require e-lites. In addition, mostly anywhere required to have two exits. I will paraphrase the ICC language found in the IFC and IBC (2003) chapter 10:

exit access in rooms or spaces requiring two exits........
" " corridors and exit stairs in buildings requiring two (or more) exits
exterior exit discharge (limited).......

Hope this gives you an idea of how to price it.

Imagine the following: a dingy named "original bid" and the yatch it's tied to named "change order":grin:

jmsbrush

Weaver Road said:
I am with all the posts that indicate it should be in the design. I would not approve plans without it clearly indicated.

A couple ideas I have to offer to get you thinking the right way. Where i am, any spaces big enough to be considered assembly (ie: 50 or more people) will require e-lites. In addition, mostly anywhere required to have two exits. I will paraphrase the ICC language found in the IFC and IBC (2003) chapter 10:

exit access in rooms or spaces requiring two exits........
" " corridors and exit stairs in buildings requiring two (or more) exits
exterior exit discharge (limited).......

Hope this gives you an idea of how to price it.

Imagine the following: a dingy named "original bid" and the yatch it's tied to named "change order":grin:
Thank you very much

Status
Not open for further replies.