Emergency Ltg

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmuniz

There is an existing design for some outdoor pole mtd twin head type light fixtures where one of the heads is shown circuited to a normal power source and the other head is shown circuited to an emergency source. The question has been raised if it is acceptable to route both the normal and emergency wiring inside the same light pole ?

iwire

Staff member
Re: Emergency Ltg

Welcome to the forum bmuniz this is an interesting question and my first reaction is to say no you can not do that based on this.

700.9(B) Wiring. Wiring of two or more emergency circuits supplied from the same source shall be permitted in the same raceway, cable, box, or cabinet. Wiring from an emergency source or emergency source distribution overcurrent protection to emergency loads shall be kept entirely independent of all other wiring and equipment, unless otherwise permitted in (1) through (4):

(1)Wiring from the normal power source located in transfer equipment enclosures

(2)Wiring supplied from two sources in exit or emergency luminaires (lighting fixtures)

(3)Wiring from two sources in a common junction box, attached to exit or emergency luminaires (lighting fixtures)

(4)Wiring within a common junction box attached to unit equipment, containing only the branch circuit supplying the unit equipment and the emergency circuit supplied by the unit equipment
None of the listed places that you can you mix normal and emergency include a section of raceway which is what the pole supporting the fixtures is considered.

Now is this truly an Article 700 emergency system or is it possibly an Article 702 optional standby system?

If it is Article 700 and these are HID type fixtures you will need re-strike lamps in the fixtures.

I would not move forward without talking to the engineer and or AHJ about this installation.

[ June 22, 2005, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: iwire ]

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

What if one or both of the branch circuits running up the pole were AC or MC cable? Would that provide effective separation that meets the code?

Steve

bmuniz

The project is for a public mass transit outdoor area. All the emergency lighting is backed by a UPS. What or who defines whether the design is required to be Art. 700 or standby ?

I was going to suggest they either make each pole strictly for normal power or emergency or run the normal as AC cable inside the pole (if permitted).

sandsnow

Originally posted by bmuniz:
The project is for a public mass transit outdoor area. All the emergency lighting is backed by a UPS. What or who defines whether the design is required to be Art. 700 or standby ?

I was going to suggest they either make each pole strictly for normal power or emergency or run the normal as AC cable inside the pole (if permitted).
The Building Code adopted for your jurisdiction would tell you. Here it is the '97 UBC. If your outdoor area is part of the "exit discharge" (path from the exit of the building to the public way) and the occupant load is 100 or more; then lighting must be provided from an emergency system.
If the second head is not needed for the exit discharge, then you couldn't put it on the emrgency source.

I would have a problem with AC or MC cable because I cannot think of a way to terminate it properly in the pole. Maybe someone has an idea here.

You could use LFNC inside the pole and hang it from a kellems grip.

benaround

bmuniz,

Unless these poles only have 1 pipe norm, and 1 pipe Emg. at the base,some very intricate engineering will have to surface. Bearing in mind that at the 'arm' of the fixture only one hole each will be availible and modification to that is almost certian(i.e.) taping hole to accept 1/2" threads and if running non-stop into wiring compartment 90degC insulation will be required.

I like your idea about 1 pole norm., 1 pole Emg. and about the two fixtures of emg on one pole,the 2nd must be there for backup. GOOD LUCK.

frank

Status
Not open for further replies.