Emergency or battery lighting in Electrical rooms

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought there was a 2008 NEC requirement for all new construction of electrical rooms in clinics/health care facilities had to have emergency lighting or battery backup ligting in electrical rooms. Only thing I have found is 110.26(D)illumination but it doesn't require emergency ligting or battery backup lighting etc...

The NFPA 101 seems to be a little vague on requiring it in electrical rooms. It does require it in "egress".

Does anyone know where I could find this requirment, (other than common sense and good idea)?

Thanks.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
I have seen 700.16 interpreted as requiring emergency illumination in electrical rooms.

It says...
Emergency illumination shall include all required means of egress lighting, illuminated exit signs, and all other lights specified as necessary to provide required illumination

As you noted, 110.26(D) requires illumination for the working spaces about service equipment, switchboards, panelboards, etc.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
I have seen 700.16 interpreted as requiring emergency illumination in electrical rooms.

It says...

As you noted, 110.26(D) requires illumination for the working spaces about service equipment, switchboards, panelboards, etc.

I would agree with the requirement

cadpoint

NEC 99 ( ? ) ; State Level hosipital over-sight peps...

If I'd of Said:

Maybe NEC 99 ; or it's controlled at the State Level.

I answered with out looking at the good book. I have since read the responses and the good book.

My first real thought is that it's a RFI Issue, (that is assuming that these are contracted and sealed drawings) that you are working from. IT's seem the contract drawing missed it? Is that the real question?

If your even a passive reader here, you'd realize that not all requirements are the same or need to be met when the words medicial or health care are mentioned.

Sorry to have been a distraction!

north star

= =

I am of the opinion that emergency lighting is not required
[ by the Letter of the NEC ] in Electrical Rooms......I DO think
that it would be a good idea to have it there, and our FCO
agrees......We just have not pushed the issue, especially
since the fire dept. will show up with their own portable
lighting if they are called to respond.

= =

Status
Not open for further replies.