emergency power systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

j2e2merc

i am working in the manhattan mall. the first 3 floors are stores, the next 4 floors are office space. the mall has its own generator. the upper floor tenants have their own generator. I wired a new store on the 2nd floor ( steave and Barry clothing.I ran an piping network to feed 200 low bay fixtures. I incorporated 23 em lights and 8 battery backed up exit signs. The em low bays are not battery backed.The engineer said i am not allowed to share the same conduit system for em circuts.check article 7oo. I told him to check article 701(legally required standby systems). 702-9b which states i can share conduit with normal power. WHO IS CORRECT? web page

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Re: emergency power systems

fixtures. I incorporated 23 em lights and 8 battery backed up exit signs. The em low bays are not battery backed
My first concern is that the low bay fixtures are not suitable on an EM circuit unless they are an EM fixture. Unless they are connected to a UPS system they will lose power until the generator comes up to speed and power is transferred. The restart time for certain fixture types will leave the area in complete darkness until the fixtures can cool and restart.

iwire

Staff member

I incorporated 23 em lights
In this area (MA, RI, CT required emergency lighting is covered by Article 700.

700.9(B) requires the emergency circuits to be run separate from the normal circuits.

IMO you have a bunch more pipe to run.

[ September 30, 2005, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: iwire ]

ron

What makes the 23 fixtures and exit signs EM lights? Are they battery backed up from battery packs & inverters installed at the individual fixtures or rely on gen power for Article 700 power?
If you were planning on the generator, then you may need to look at self contained EM fixtures and exit signs where the EM circuit initiates at the fixture and may work for your situation.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

I told him to check article 701(legally required standby systems).
New York City does not follow Article 701. You would need to follow Article 700. Look at the link below. Article 701 has been deleted by NYC Local Law #81 of 2003 which amends the 2002 NEC.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dob/downloads/pdf/sec4a_ll_81_2003.pdf

[ September 30, 2005, 06:35 PM: Message edited by: infinity ]

ryan_618

Emergency lights are emergency loads, if you follow the IBC. This would be found in Chapter 27.

If the lights you are using for emergency are unit equipment (battery packs), then 700.9(B)(4) would permit the same raceway (considering that it has to be the same circuit [700.12(F)]). If they are not, you are up a creek.

You need to stay out of 701 and 702 for this.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

(considering that it has to be the same circuit [700.12(F)]).
I think that an area with 200 low bay fixtures would have more than 3 circuits so the exception to 700.14(F)(4) would apply.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

No, it could apply. It doesn't have to.
You're right Ryan I was reading more into it than I should have. Sounds as If Bob had it right in the first place. j2e2merc will need to run a lot more pipe and wire. Chalk one up for the engineer this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.