Emergency service change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wirenutz414

We had a call from the customer that the electric company was going to shut power off to a apartment building for a rusted Meter socket.
The building had a 4 gang Meter and 1 was for a store. So I got a 5 gang Meter with two meters having a bypass and three with not.
Meteres came in with breakers. Panels are on opposite sides of the wall 5' away. I did not run a sSER to the new panels because in my opinion they are not a subpage.
Inspection comes and he wants a 4 wire between Meter and panel. What do I do with 3wire going to ranges upstairs to apartments?
Are these existing panels considered a sub panel?

iwire

Staff member
We had a call from the customer that the electric company was going to shut power off to a apartment building for a rusted Meter socket.
The building had a 4 gang Meter and 1 was for a store. So I got a 5 gang Meter with two meters having a bypass and three with not.
Meteres came in with breakers. Panels are on opposite sides of the wall 5' away. I did not run a sSER to the new panels because in my opinion they are not a subpage.
Inspection comes and he wants a 4 wire between Meter and panel. What do I do with 3wire going to ranges upstairs to apartments?

As soon as you put breakers at the meters the panels became subpanels.

Had you stayed with just meters outside you would have been fine.

user 100

Agree w/ iwire- once the combination enclosure was added, the other panels became sp's- so you need to do 4w.......

I know that's not the answer you wanted.:)

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Besides isolating the EGC from the neutrals conductors in the newly established sub panel, do you know if Wirenutz414 responsible for upgrading the branch circuits leaving the sub panel? (ie the electric range and possibly dryer)?

Status
Not open for further replies.