Emergency service work with/without contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
So we had a big storm I was called from a previous client to fix power. Power company was so busy , they could not discount there line from the mast quickly so I have been waiting on them
I gave him a price this morning and told him as soon as they discount I can start.
He first thought it was going to be cheap but it’s two broken service mast to rentals on his property.
Quoted him 3.5k for everything including new jaw for one of the meters and a new meter for the other.
He has no signed contract yet he is talking with insurance agent.
They just got the mast clear about 20 minutes ago.
Tenets keep calling wanting me to work and he wants me to also.
Last time I worked with him was on an insurance job so I never really dealt with him.
Though he is a pain in the but to deal with.
Would you fix and just worry about money latter since it’s cold for the tenant or make him sign contract before work.
Seems a no brained but my heart feel bad.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
last I text was after 7 it’s going to have to wait for the morning and I can’t leave till contract is signed.
I kinda feel like I am pressuring him but also don’t want to get screwed

James L

Occupation
Electrician
If your standard protocol is to have a contract signed, then you need to wait for a signature - and especially if he knows that's the way it works

The times I've been screwed over all had one thing in common - I tried to be a nice guy and ignored my own protocol

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
You _are_ pressuring him. Lean into it. He is pressuring you.

He has the option to shop around. You have the option to walk.

If you don't get a contract then chances are it will be a bigger fight for you later. You've worked for the guy and know he can be a pain in the rear.

Do you feel it is a fair price, given the scope of work, your normal cushion for unexpected things, the rush nature? Or do you feel that you are taking advantage of someone in distress?

If you feel you've given a fair price, then stick to your guns and get a contract.

-Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.