Emergency switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

george t. everett

It has been customary to install a emergency switch at the top of the basement stairs to disconnect the boiler or furnace in a one family dwelling. Is this switch required by any code?

iwire

Staff member
Re: Emergency switch

It is not an NEC requirement.

Here in MA it is a fire prevention regulation, other states may have similar regulations.

If your from MA I can dig up the regulation number.

peter d

As Bob said it is always a local code requirement. This is also a uniquely Northeastern issue due to the prevalence of oil heat.

I was curious about this myself and discovered that the codes in some New England states require the emergency switch and Firomatic (thermal cutoff) for oil burning equipment only because of the special hazards that oil burners present.

Nontheless, this hasn't prevented inspectors from overstepping their authority and requiring them for everything . :roll: :mad:

As such, EC's follow suit and just install the remote switches for all types of heating systems: gas, propane, and oil.

volt102

NFPA 54 prohibits an emergency switch for a gas installation. I would still recommend that the electrician rough it in but blank it off for the finish.
NFPA 31 requires that the emergancy switch be just outside of the room that the burner is in, so if someone was to finish off their basement creating a boiler room, the switch will have to be moved down to the basement.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.