Emergency Voice/Evacuation System

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkim780

I have two qeustions regarding an emergency voice evacuation system.

1. Are there any codes that direct when an
emergency voice evacuation system is required?
I was told from fire alarm mfgr. sales rep. saying NFPA101 requires an emergeny voice evacuation sytem where occupancy load is greater that 300 people. Is that correct? If that is true then, virtually, every building has to have an emergency voice evac sytem. I was trying to find that provision on NFPA101 but I wasn't able to locate it? Can anyone tell me what section it is?

2. Can you use PA system as an emergency voice evac system? If you can, what code allows you to do it?

Thanks for your answer in advance.

websparky

Re: Emergency Voice/Evacuation System

Before considering voice requirements, the system needs to be designed based on the classification of the structure and occupancy types, by a licensed designer and approved by the AHJ.

NFPA 101
12.3.4.1 General.
Assembly occupancies with occupant loads of more than 300 and all theaters with more than one audience-viewing room shall be provided with an approved fire alarm system in accordance with 9.6.1 and 12.3.4.
Exception No. 1: Assembly occupancies that are a part of a mixed occupancy (see 6.1.14) shall be permitted to be served by a common fire alarm system, provided that the individual requirements of each occupancy are met.
Exception No. 2: Voice communication or public address systems complying with 12.3.4.3.3 shall not be required to comply with 9.6.1.

Annex A
This annex is not a part of the requirements of this NFPA document but is included for informational purposes only.
A.11.8.3.1
The need for voice communication can be based on a decision regarding staged or partial evacuation versus total evacuation of all floors. The determination of need is a function of occupancy classification and building height.

Status
Not open for further replies.