Emergnecy Generators

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradleyh

We installed a 250kw Emergency Generator at a 6 story Hotel. The inspector said that the exhaust opening needs to be at least 10 feet from the nearest openable door or window. We are currently at 8 feet from the outside edge of the nearest openable window. Is it an actual code requirement and if so where could it be found and how does it specifically read?

We get that all the time (we are in south florida) However, all the codes they quote us seem to have nothing to do with exhuast enter the building more so with air leaving the building. I am by no means a mechanical expert but I would shoot for using NFPA 37 4.1.4 (02 ed), 5' from a building opening.

HighWirey

ykee said:
Does it really matter what the code says if your local AHJ has told you he wants 10'?

Was your firm responsible for the complete install, or just the electrical part? If you are responsible for the complete install, did you not submit shop drawings showing all those 'devils details' for approval, prior to proceeding with construction. Asking for actual code requirements at this time sounds like it is too late.

There used to be a song in bygone days "What Lola wants, Lola gets". Here Lola = the AHJ. I'll bet Lola likes 10 feet better than 8 feet . . .

Best Wishes Everyone

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
ykee said:
Does it really matter what the code says if your local AHJ has told you he wants 10'?

Yes it matters, an Inspector can not make up his own rules.

Roger

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
ykee said:
You're new around these-here parts, ain't ya? :smile:

If he's correct, of course, he's correct. But we don't "obey" inspectors, we amicably (hopefully) arrive at the proper interpretation and implementation of actual code requirements.

In other words, what Roger said. When you see the phrase in the NEC: " . . . shall be permitted . . . " that's actually incumbent upon the inspector, not the electrician.

But the point is that code enforcement laws apply to both the inspector and the inspectee. It's as unlawful to fail something improperly as it is to pass something improperly.

76nemo

roger said:
Yes it matters, an Inspector can not make up his own rules.

Roger

True, but, huh??????? We should have a thread for the most ridiculous enforcements ever stated by the AHJ. I heard through the grapevine a new inspector is calling out for AFCI's needed on new install's on ALL service upgrades. If I could document all of the shared neutrals I run into on old installations and get a dollar for them, I wouldn't have to work as much:rolleyes:

I had one inspector here tell me the service cable had to be replaced on an upgrade because it was painted and no longer was protected from UV:roll: :confused: :mad:

bphgravity

It sounds like the inspector is confusing the general requirement in the mechanical code that restricts intake and in some cases exhaust openings to be located within 10' of each other or other openings in the building.

Weaver Road

HighWirey said:
Was your firm responsible for the complete install, or just the electrical part? If you are responsible for the complete install, did you not submit shop drawings showing all those 'devils details' for approval, prior to proceeding with construction. Asking for actual code requirements at this time sounds like it is too late.

There used to be a song in bygone days "What Lola wants, Lola gets". Here Lola = the AHJ. I'll bet Lola likes 10 feet better than 8 feet . . .

Best Wishes Everyone

This thread is one of the best reasons I joined this forum. As an AHJ inspector I learn a lot from these stories. I am truly amazed at what I see in the field and in here, how many inspectors are still calling it from memory, not using actual sections for their citations, and not keeping up on the code changes. Many are truly well meaning, but behind the times, but some are just plain wrong. While I am never going to inspect at 100%, I try to get closer each time.

I hope that someone will respectfully challenge me when they disagree. I might be wrong, not see it their way, or can use their professional experience to better understand. There are limited situations in the CT codes that allow me to be "Lola", otherwise, it's straight out of the book.

As for the "pre-approved" plans, while it's very true that I try to catch it all in plan review, please see the 100% comment above. In CT, probably elsewhere, it is still incumbent upon that Owner/landlord/contractor to install in a compliant fashion, weather I catch it in plan review or not.

Ask the inspector for the citation on the 10' so you can "do it right this time" (makes him or her happy), then you can also see what is being cited and if it's legit.
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.