Emergnecy Seperate Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike01

In the healthcare realm of emergency power systems for systems larger than 150Kva (I believe that is the number do not have my code book accessible right now) there are three transfer switch requirements for the three systems, legally required(life safety), critical, equipment. all requiring separate transfer switches. but in non-healthcare applications, looking at the 700's articles I do not see where it indicates a separation of systems requirement form a transfer switch standpoint (for non-healthcare related projects) is this interpreted as the life safety lighting can be on a common transfer switch with the other load as long as the generator is sized to handle the starting? I did come across how no other loads shall be served from the life safety lighting panel by not the individual transfer switch requirement?

kwired

Electron manager
The only hits I get from a search of "life safety branch" on 2008 NEC CD are in 517 and the index referring to 517.

There is no life safety branch terminology in art 700

iwire

Staff member
in non-healthcare applications, looking at the 700's articles I do not see where it indicates a separation of systems requirement form a transfer switch standpoint

700.9(B) requires separation of Article 700 wiring from all other wiring. This includes the transfer switch.

Articles 701 and 702 have no such requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.