EMF Electrician in Dallas

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Doesn't the OP question violate forum rules? OP profile indicates he is not an electrical professional, so we can't give him any advice except to find a professional. He apparently is looking for a professional, but this site is not Craigslist or similar either.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Doesn't the OP question violate forum rules? OP profile indicates he is not an electrical professional, so we can't give him any advice except to find a professional. He apparently is looking for a professional, but this site is not Craigslist or similar either.

He is not asking for a how to and he is not a diy. I see no reason not to direct him to a licensed individual.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Stop at the local supply house & one will show up. Google, craigslist, Yellow Pages.
Don't be too sure when I got into this I was the only one around who knew what to do to fix the problems. I have had people from other cities call me to help them understand it.

I had one customer who called me and said he had 3 electricians over who thought he was nuts and had never heard of a gaussmeter- most EC's don't have them. He said he called 5 or 6 others who had no idea what to do so he was happy when I said I could fix it-- took me less than an hour with travel.

smjjpres

Thank you for all of the responses. Yes, I am reasonably familiar with detecting wiring issues; I have know idea how to fix them though. I have a gauss meter to measure EMF in the house and trouble shoot each breaker to determine the breakers causing the issue...

I would be happy to entertain a proposal from an 'expert' to help fix...there doesn't seem to be anybody locally that understands EMF.

Feel free to contact me directly at spreston@nadgus.com. Steve

kwired

Electron manager
I find it hard to believe there is nobody around in a metropolitan area that can figure it out, you just have not found any of them yet.

Most of these types of problems are solved just by going through and fixing code violations. Improperly routed circuit conductors will create this problem. Old knob and tube wiring (even though it may have been code compliant at the time it was installed) can create this problem.

The problem with not being able to find anyone that knows about it is that many guys (not all) that do residential work are not really that educated on theory, if they were this would be simple for them.

Maybe try calling someone that does a fair amount of instrumentation and control work, they are better troubleshooters and understand electrical theory better and not call "house ropers". They will want more pay but will find the problem and likely be more efficient at finding it.

Last edited:

brian john

I agree, surely there is someone in that area that knows at least a bit about EMF and how to correct wiring problems associated with them. I would have to do a bit of reading again... it was the "problem of the month" a few years ago.

A bit of reading, some common sense, an electrical background and a gauss meter is about all it takes. It is not all that complicated, SO FAR I have been able to figure it out and I am no wiz.

Last edited:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Here in town the one guy fixed it, by wearing a aluminum foil suit and putting old appliances on his roof to block out the EMF's that "they" were beaming in.

Note: This may not work for every one.:happyno:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Here are the 3 major causes of emf's in a residence

ME said:
Common Causes of EMF

1. If the EGC is touching the grounded conductor after the OCPD.
2. If the grounded conductor from two different circuits are connected together after the Ocpd. I see this in 2 or 3 gang switches where either the neutrals get crossed or they are all tied together.
3. If the circuit conductor are not run together as in K&T wiring or sometimes you see this in 3 way switches where the EC runs 2 wire cable between the 3 ways and picks up a neutral at one box and the feed at the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.